Program Freezes when using Paint Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Program Freezes when using Paint Plugin

This bug is still here and super easy to reproduce, it happens every time you use the Paint tools on an image larger than the display resolution.

Yes, disabling "Use Resample for fitting" or "Use Resample for zoooming" works, but you shouldn't have to do that.
    Or alternatively, those settings should be disabled by default.

Please fill in your forum profile, to tell us which version of IrfanView you're using, then explain exactly what the issue is.

1. How big is the image in pixel dimensions?
    2. What happens when you zoom in when using the paint tools?
    3. Which tool are you using?
    4. Does the program recover after some time?

Please note that the 32-bit version is recommended as several plugins do not work at all with the 64-bit version. The Paint plugin is no longer under development. It works OK for me on 64-bit but other users complain of crasshes. Irfan Skiljan can do nothing about it yet as he did not develop the plugin.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

IrfanView 4.42 32bit, Paint.dll 0.4.13.73, Windows 7 64bit. Same problem on two different PCs.

Here's an example of how to reproduce the bug:
      1. Set IrfanView View->Display to "Fit only big images to window"
      2. Open this image (4104x3656) through file association (by double clicking on it) or R-click -> Open with... not through IrfanView's Open menu
      3. Show Paint dialog (F12)
      4. Draw a line
      5. Try to close the Paint dialog

IrfanView freezes. I waited 5 minutes but it was still frozen.

If before painting it's zoomed in to the original size (Ctrl+H) then it doesn't freeze.
      If "Use Resample for fitting" and "Use Resample for zoooming" are disabled it also doesn't freeze.

I see that the Paint plugin isn't included in the last plugin package anymore. I guess it's known that it's buggy.
      Last edited by Sandy; 17.07.2016, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
        I see that the Paint plugin isn't included in the last plugin package anymore. I guess it's known that it's buggy.
        That does not agree with what it says on the IrfanView Plugins page.

Note: A normal IrfanView version includes the following (most important) PlugIns:

Effects, Paint, Ansi2Unicode, Icons, Slideshow-EXE, RegionCapture
        Tools, Video, Metadata, JPG-Transform.

I get no crash here following your recipe (I am using Windows 10) I have the ß0.4.13.73 Paint plugin installed. I was able to draw a couple of lines using the line tool and the brush tool on your image. I closed the plugin, pasted a screen shot of my View display settings into a selection, reduced the colour depth to make it small enough to upload, and saved the file.

If you're having problems with large images, disable resampling for fitting and zooming. It is known that the plugin is buggy when used with 64-bit IrfanView.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 17.07.2016, 05:01 PM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

OK, this is weirder than I thought.
          There's an extra condition for the bug: the file must be opened "through Windows", that is, either by double clicking on it (if already associated with i_view32.exe) or through the Open with... menu.

If opened through the IrfanView File Open menu there's no freezing.

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          Note: A normal IrfanView version includes the following (most important) PlugIns:...
          You're right. I forgot that some plugins are included by default.
          Last edited by Sandy; 17.07.2016, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Still no freezing or crashing here. There is not much point continuing this thread as there is nothing new to report here. Irfan knows about this issue that affects some users.

Originally posted by Irfan Skiljan
            For the big things on the TODO list: I will first try to fix the Paint plugin crahes (on some systems), then try to port IrfanView to unicode ... they are very important things, important for many users.
            As I said, Irfan Skiljan didn't develop the plugin. If you're having problems, then disable resampling.

Please fill in your forum profile.

Comment

Working...
            X