Limited Users in XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limited Users in XP

I am having trouble with batch convert, and extract frames from gif when I am logged in as a limited user (Windows XP, SP2). It seems that these functions only output jpeg files.

However, using an administrator account, I can out put in other formats (well... .PNG has been tested).

Congrats on the product though.

Cheers,
    Timbo

When you install IrfanView, make sure that you install it for all users. The default is current user only. I don't know, but I guess that you should uninstall and reinstall both the program and the plugins.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Admin:
      Ran uninstaller.
      Deleted folders
      Ran installer Ifan view 4.1
      Selected for all users (and unchecked all the boxes...)*
      Logout

Limited User:
      Tried to extract all frames from a .gif to .pngs in the deafult directory, but they came out as .jpegs

This is not the problem.

* I notice that this automatically greys out the "current user" / "all users" radio button, maybe i_view32 just assumes the current user.

Comment

I have never tried that before.

When I tried extracting frames as PNG from an animated GIF

1. With transaprency I got nothing at all (I clicked to select transparency for each frame)
        2. Without transparency I got 8 PNG images

Extracting as GIF gave similar results:

1. With transparency, nothing
        2. Without transparency, 8 GIF images

Extract as JPG or TIF worked as expected.

Does the same happen with all animated GIFs? Can you post the troublesome file?
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Ok,
          I have a sample GIF file uploaded in a zip file.

Perhaps a bit of background for GIF:
          It is a scanned from a page via a HP scanner. The scanner scans multiple pages in as an animated gif. Usually sketches or drawing need a little clean up which is done using MS paint (don't knock it, it is ideal for very minor, precise, changes to scanned sketches). The preferred scanning is as a gif (there is also an option as a jpeg, but then you get artifacts in the drawing due to the encoding type, i.e. straight lines do not have definite 'edge'.) I have to extract each frame to do something usable with multiple images, which where ifranview comes in.

Although this isn't a show stopper, it is a bit annoying.

Cheers,
          Timbo
          Attached Files

Comment

It is a bit tricky clicking the menu to extract all frames, perhaps because of the size of the bitmaps — animated GIF images aren't usually 1653 x 2145 Pixels in my experience — but the three frames extracted OK as PNG images. With animation turned off (Properties, JPG/PCD/GIF) , only the first frame comes up, and there is no option to extract the frames.
            Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 04.09.2008, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Hi timbo,

Like Bhikkhu Pesala, I could extract the frames. I tried JPEG and PNG and it workes file. The default directory proposed was C:\Documents and Settings\Laurent\Local Settings\Temp, where I (Laurent) have full control.

Laurent
              Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Are you running as an administrator account, or as a limited user?

It works fine with an administrator account, but not as a limited user.

Yea, the file is big, but so are HP drivers.

Timbo

Comment

Hi Timbo,

As an administrator, give limited users the right modify/write onto the file i_view32.ini in the installation directory of IrfanView.

You also must extract the frames to a directory where a limited user is enabled to write files.

Laurent
                  Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Yep. That works fine now.

Timbo

Comment

Working...
                    X