Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

large tif images

hello all,

In a research project we're producing some pretty big tif files (those are 400-500Mb uncompressed.

I really like using IrFanview and would like to use it for those big files too.

Is there something I can do about it ? (I can't compress the images in a way pixeldata is lost)

Ron

That should be possible if you have enough RAM fitted. With 1 Gybte RAM I can load a file of 344 Mbytes, 7,714 x 15,608 Pixels. Consider using PNG if you can, that is only 71 Mbytes on disk, though the memory size is obviously no different.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi,

Well, the image I have is compressed with LZW. It is 445Mb on disk (uncompressed probably a lot more) The image is 27648x20736 24bpp.
      The machine I am on has 3Gb ram that should work ?
      error msg: ..........\projection-0.tif: Decode error!
      Error: Can't allocate memory for result image(s)! Out of memory.

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      That should be possible if you have enough RAM fitted. With 1 Gybte RAM I can load a file of 344 Mbytes, 7,714 x 15,608 Pixels. Consider using PNG if you can, that is only 71 Mbytes on disk, though the memory size is obviously no different.

Comment

At a rough guess that is six times bigger than my image or around 1.8 Gbytes in memory. Try turning off use undo on Misc1. Other than that, I don't know what else to suggest.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

ok, that's an idea.

I was kinda hoping that when viewing somewhat bigger files that not the whole image would be loaded in memory. (it would still be possible to move around in an image (slower because of load times).. and also it would be possible to print it. That's probably what is done with satelite images etc too)

At a rough guess that is six times bigger than my image or around 1.8 Gbytes in memory. Try turning off use undo on Misc1. Other than that, I don't know what else to suggest.

Comment

ok, I tried that.. didn't work.

What is funny though is that; I have an image that is 28,000x21,000 buty only 70Mb on disk and irfanview can handle it. I have another image, same dimensions... but disksize 445Mb but irfanview can't handle that one.

The resolution is the same and they are both 24bpp. (That means that they are the same size in memory... right ?)

Ron

Originally posted by cj5cowboy View Post
            ok, that's an idea.

I was kinda hoping that when viewing somewhat bigger files that not the whole image would be loaded in memory. (it would still be possible to move around in an image (slower because of load times).. and also it would be possible to print it. That's probably what is done with satelite images etc too)

Comment

Originally posted by cj5cowboy View Post
              ok, I tried that.. didn't work.
              I've run into the same problem with a 26693x18017 24bpp tiff file.

I'm running XP Pro SP2 with 2GB ram and IrfanView 4.10

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer can open an display the image, although VERY slowly.

I was hoping to be able to do some simple manipulations and conversions with IrfanView.

Comment

Have you tried Xnview?

Comment

Have you tried Xnview?
                  Just tried it and with default options (don't know enough about it to change any) it just says "Not enough memory".

Image is 26693x18017x24bpp.

[EDIT] Just made my Windows swap file larger (4GB) and Xnview now handles the file just fine. IrfanView still can't open it.
                  Last edited by RBob; 24.03.2008, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X