I want to view the Pictures by Date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to view the Pictures by Date

Hi, after I switched to Win10, Microsoft decided to default the Picture viewer to the new one that I dislike. In fact I've changed to the old Picture viewer, but the Creators Update changed basically all Settings back to default, very annoying..

I first thought I could google about how to set it back to the old Windows Picture viewer, but then I remembered that in the past I've been using Irfanview, but for some reason I've stoppped using it, so I decided to give it a shot again.

But now I do remember the problem I've always had.

I typically browse my files with the Windows Explorer, and I've set most of my private Folders to be sorted by the file creation date. That makes most sense for me, since those are the files that I access the most, and for everything else there's a search function.

Unfortunately when I doubleclick a Picture to open it on Irfanview, and then want to view the next Picture, it will show me the next Picture by alphabet, not by creation date.
    This is very annoying, because usually I save pictures that are related to each other, and thanks to the creation time sort order, they're perfectly ordered without the hassle to rename them or create tons of folders.

Now is there any way to change this in the Irfanview options or some workaround? I didn't find a way to change it.
    If not, you should really add this feature. You're missing out a lot of users like me that dislike the new Win10 Picture viewer and are looking for a better option.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by xao; 31.05.2017, 07:23 AM.

Options menu, Sort directory files, by Date
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      Options menu, Sort directory files, by Date
      Thank you! That helps, now I can enjoy viewing my Pictures again.
      have totally overlooked that there are settings in the Options menu and have been going straight to the Options/Settings menu where I had desperately looked for a setting to change this.

Also I found this feature suggestion thread, which I at first did not understand:

Would be really good if this function would be implanted if it is technically possible, since in rare cases I might need the alphabetical order, for example if I wanna view all Pictures or Screenshots about one Topic, but created those at different days. For example I'm using a Screenshot Addon for my Browser which automatically saves the screenshot with the websites filename, but I don't wanna make an extra folder for each website, since some screenshots are only from one website.

The Windows Photo Viewer automatically uses the same order that the folder is using. But since I'm using the order by date most of the time I'm ok now
      Last edited by xao; 31.05.2017, 12:00 PM.

Comment

If you have an Irfanview shortcut icon on your desktop you can use drag and drop. Select the range of files that you want in the Windows Explorer folder. Then left click down on the first file selected and drag them all onto the Irfanview icon. They will be displayed in the order they were in Explorer.

Be careful if you try selecting everything in the Explorer folder using Ctrl+A. It really does mean everything including other folders and non-image files. So you may find you have some blank spaces or "Can't read file header" error messages.

Comment

Working...
        X