GH5 RW2 raw images low quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved GH5 RW2 raw images low quality

Hi all, I'm trying to open RW2 files in Irfanview, so I installed Irfanview 4.44 64bit on W7.
    It opens, but zooming for some detail it lacks quality (on the left) compared to the same image shot by GH5 camera on jpg (on the right).

Is this normal?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by frank10; 21.06.2017, 07:50 PM.

What settings are you using for loading RAW image in Settings, Plugins?

Is the resolution of the two images the same?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I don't see a Raw settings in the Settings->Plugins, I only find buttons for Postscript, DXF, MRSid, PDF, JPM.
      But it is surely a res problem: RAW:1920x1444, Jpg: 5184x3888 (as displayed on the low left windows).

Comment

You're not loading the RAW image.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RAW Options.png
Views:	1
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	81698

IrfanView is an image viewer rather than a RAW image editor. By default, it should load a small preview image quickly just so that you can look at the image.

Although it can convert RAW images to 24-bit images, it is recommended to use a Photo Editing program to edit 16-bit per channel, high-resolution RAW images.
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 22.06.2017, 04:03 AM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I have looked ad two raw samples from https://raw.pixls.us/. The 20 MP raw files contain relatively small 1920x1440 preview jpeg images (plus 160x120 px thumbnails). Many, probably most cameras embed full-sized previews, but this depends on camera model, and, possibly, settings.

When set to open the actual raw image, IV was able to open one of two samples; camera's raw photos come in four versions/formats. That might change with the next version of the formats plugin, but, in any case, IrfanView opens the preview images correctly.
          IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

ok, I deselected the "try to load embedded" and the "half size": it loads the pic very slowly but it is displayed perfectly at the correct res and also at the correct exposure, better than the jpg!
            Then I tried to add the "load at half size" and it loads faster at half res, of course, but still better than the jpg.
            So, the only checkbox to disable to have a better visualization is the embedded one.
            Thank you.

Comment

I don't see a real purpose in opening raw photos in IrfanView, it is slow and you don't want to use IV for editing them. Check, if your camera can embed full-size preview images (for a cost of slightly bigger raw files). IrfanView allows up to 10 external editors.
              IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Are there some good free RAW editors that you recommend?

Comment

I really like LightZone, but the rather old last release lacks the full support for your camera. I can't say, when to expect next version.

The most capable program, available for windows, is RawTherapee, with many advanced tools, constant development, a decent manual and a helpful forum. It provides no local editing, though, for this one has to pass a 16-bit image to an editor like the Gimp (2.9.x).

Darktable is another great program, in some ways a "combination" of LightZone and RawTherapee, providing also regional editing, colour and luminance masks etc. Not available for Windows, the main reason that I'm also using Linux.

If you are new to raw editing, I would also try the program, that comes with your camera. It should provide an easy starting point.
                  IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Thnk you, I'll look at those.

Comment

Working...
                    X