Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Dual Monitor Bug - makes using a 2nd monitor almost useless

Hello,

I'm a longtime user of the Irfanview programm and really like it.
    Since a couple of days I experience a very weird bug, and can't seem to fix it.
    Haven't change anything on my system during this time, only windows updated the defender.

The bug:
    I'm using Win7 and 2 monitors. 1 main display with 1920x1080 resolution and one with 1280x1024. When I open a picture with Irfanview on the main 1920 display, there are no errors. Everything works as intended.
    When I open a picture on the 1280 display, the screen inside Irfanview stays black. If the picture is bigger than 1280x1024 and I resize it to 100 % it will then show up. If it's smaller, the only thing I can do to make it show up is resize the Irfanview window to a size, smaller than the picture itself. This makes browsing on this display almost impossible of course.
    Now if I open a picture on the main display and drag the window to the other window, it gets really weird. When the Irfanview-window goes off screen, when I drag it too much to a side or the bottom, and then pull it back up, the parts of the image that left the screen are completly distorted. I can provide examples if needed.

This only happens with Irfanview, and only since a couple of days, 2-4 at most. I have tried the obvious things: completely deinstall Irfanview, reinstall, using a new version, restarting the computer of course. Tried different options with image resizing, no luck. Scanned for Malware too, without results.
    With the standard windows-picture viewer or different picture programs there is no problem.

I'm not new to computers and worked in the industry for a time, but such a bug I haven't experienced and seems completly bizarre to me.

As I love the program apart from this, I hope there is something to be done!
    Thanks for your time.

Edit: Interestingly, when I switch which display is the main display in windows, the bug disappears. When I change it back, it's back.
    Last edited by Gunny; 10.08.2017, 10:32 PM.

No problem in Windows 10, but I cannot test the problem on Windows 7.

Please update your forum profile.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Gunny View Post
      Hello,

I'm a longtime user of the Irfanview programm and really like it.
      Since a couple of days I experience a very weird bug, and can't seem to fix it.
      Haven't change anything on my system during this time, only windows updated the defender.

The bug:
      I'm using Win7 and 2 monitors. 1 main display with 1920x1080 resolution and one with 1280x1024. When I open a picture with Irfanview on the main 1920 display, there are no errors. Everything works as intended.
      I also am a long-time user and just recently noticed a problem in Irfanview on my primary monitor. I realized that I did more than just update windows defender though -- Windows Update also installed security fix KB4034664. When I uninstall this update, the problem with Irfanview disappears. When I reinstall this update, Irfanview stops working on my primary monitor.

Maybe you also installed this update? Maybe you can try uninstalling it to test? (temporarily -- it's a security roll-up so you'll want it installed when you're done)

Comment

Originally posted by sloom View Post
        I also am a long-time user and just recently noticed a problem in Irfanview on my primary monitor. I realized that I did more than just update windows defender though -- Windows Update also installed security fix KB4034664. When I uninstall this update, the problem with Irfanview disappears. When I reinstall this update, Irfanview stops working on my primary monitor.

Maybe you also installed this update? Maybe you can try uninstalling it to test? (temporarily -- it's a security roll-up so you'll want it installed when you're done)
        You are absolutely right, that fixed it! Very weird!

So it seems there is some kind of conflict which either Irfanview or MS needs to fix asap. :l

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
        No problem in Windows 10, but I cannot test the problem on Windows 7.

Please update your forum profile.

Hope it's now ok.

Comment

Yes - same problem. Win7, IrfanView vrsn 4.44/32bit.

On the second monitor, the Irfanview Window opens black. If I resize the window vertically smaller (neither larger, nor horizontal resize works) the image show up, and things are "normal".

If I open it on the main monitor (both monitors are identical, and have identical settings) the image shows.

I use a product called UltraMon to manage the dual monitors if that effects anything.

I just installed KB4034664, as noted above. So likely this is connected with the problem.

For the moment, I will use Irfanview on the main monitor and not remove the Windows update, in the belief that one side or the other will fix the "bug". Given the state of the world I'm ever more paranoid about keeping Windows security updates current.

Anyone has a better suggestion I would love to hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by markeh View Post
            Anyone has a better suggestion I would love to hear it..
            Upgrade to Windows 10.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi
              I have the same problem.
              Win7 64Bit, 3 monitors, Irfanview only works on the main display.
              On the other 2 monitors no image is shown (black or background),window resizing does not work.
              After moving Irfanview from 2. to 1. monitor the image is shown, after moving back the 2, monitor the image is still visible, but window resizing does not work.

KB4034664 is not installed
              Upgrading to Win10 is not a possible solution :-)

I really love irfanview, would be great if that could be fixed.

Thanks a Lot
              Lukas

Comment

I had the same problem, exactly as the OP describes it. Uninstalling KB4034664 fixed it. Fixed this problem anyway; now AcrylicService is in a loop.

People mean different things by "primary" monitor. I have a Toshiba Tecra A10 and an external AOC monitor. The internal is primary for Win7. Normally I have Irfanview opening on the AOC, and that's where I encountered the problem.

What a pain. First time on Win7 that an update has caused a problem.

I suspect it's a conflict between the update and the monitor drivers. Unfortunately I don't think I launched PSE Editor while the update was installed. I did launch Windows Photo Viewer, and it worked fine ... but it was on the internal monitor.

I might do some more experiments, but not tonight. In particular I might check for a monitor driver update, though I'm not hopeful.

Edward
                I see the brevity of truth.

Comment

Irfanview isn't the only application which is having problems with the abovementioned update + second monitors. I have had problems with both Irfanview and PDF-XChange (Tracker Software).

Their forums advise to uninstall the update, or the following workaround:

Alternatively, remove the KB4034664 update for Windows 7 update from your computer, or use the following workaround:

1. Move to the Control Panel.

2. Click System.

3. Click Advanced System Settings in the Control Panel Home tab.

4. Click Settings in the Performance section.

5. Select the Enable desktop composition and Use visual styles on windows and buttons boxes

6. Hit "Apply"

My PC is a standard work-issued Dell Latitude E7270 with two external monitors, running Windows 7. No Ultramon.

Comment

Working...
                  X