Escape button closes image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Escape button closes image

Are there more people that got nervous after pressing the escape button, which closes the picture, without any question for confirmation?
    A confirmation box should be presented after pressing escape, or it should act like the undo button, or it should have no function, if you ask me.
    I really hope this item will be considered in future editions.

Properties, Misc1, Warning on ESC.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Great! Thanks. This should be the default setting if you ask me.

For others who want to check this setting: its exact location is: Options, Properties/Settings, Misc. 1.
      Last edited by WilDou; 17.11.2007, 08:45 PM.

Comment

I agree. Make it the default option, or just eliminate this function.

I can't think of another program which closes down when the escape key is pressed. Generally, it backs out of whatever action had just been initiated.

After waiting several minutes for a large file to load, I started to drag the cursor to select a crop area, then decided I wanted to make a change so I hit the escape key by habit. The program closed and I had to wait several more minute to load the image again.

Don

Comment

I didn't bother so far, but I think WilDou got a point here.
          The warning should be enabled as default. (I would disable it after setup, but that's personal)

I find a 'habit' always a bit of a weak argument. The adjustment of user and program must come from two sides.

The problem with 'escape' is, that in the course of time, the meaning of it has changed a bit.
          In DOS times it was quite common that 'esc' closed a program.
          Closing the execution of a function inside a program is quite another thing.
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Donpk View Post
            After waiting several minutes for a large file to load
            Really! There is something seriously wrong with your computer. On my PC the largest image that I have loads in 2,219 milliseconds. IV won't load images much larger than that. My PC is not state of the art by any means — an AMD64 3500 Mhz with 1 Gbyte of RAM.

FontView.exe is another program that behaves like this, so I think it is appropriate behaviour for an image viewer, though not for an image editor.

IrfanView can be used to edit images, so I agree that "Warn on Exit" should be the default, as should warn when scrolling to the next image if changes have been made (not currently available I believe).
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

PHP Code:
              There is something seriously wrong with your computer
              Well, opening a 10meg MrSID image file takes 3 minutes 40 seconds.
              I'm using a AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+ with 512mB of RAM.

How big is the file you load in 2+ seconds?

Don

Comment

How big is the file you load in 2+ seconds?
                82 Mbytes Hubble Satellite image saved as PNG or TIF. (6200 x 6200 pixels).

Our systems are similar, though the extra memory could make some difference. The problem seems to lie with the Mr Sid format, which is some kind of archived format AFAIK. Even so, 3 mins 40 seconds to decompress an archive on your PC is still ridiculous.
                MrSID technology uses lossless wavelet compression to create an initial image.
                Lossless wavelet compression is slow to decode. Unless you really need this format, try another lossless format such as PNG, which gives significantly better compression than TIF.
                Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 28.04.2008, 04:10 PM.

Comment

PHP Code:
                  There is something seriously wrong with your computer
                  Try using the Quote button.

Comment

Yes, our systems are similar, in fact I just ordered more memory to get to 1 gig, but as you said, I don't think this will make a big difference.

These MrSID files are available in the jp2 format, but when I open some of the files only the red channel is visible. We discussed this in an earlier thread http://en.irfanview-forum.de/vb/showthread.php?t=1797

Thanks for the tip on using the quote function and thanks also for you support on Irfan

Don

Comment

Yes, our systems are similar, in fact I just ordered more memory to get to 1 gig, but as you said, I don't think this will make a big difference.
                      Perhaps it will help quite a bit. When I tested your JP2 files from that thread I got:
                      JP2 Size: 15.2 Mbytes Loaded in: 26344 milliseconds
                      26 seconds for 15 Mbytes is a lot better than 220 seconds for your 10 Mbyte image, but if you have to work with these images perhaps you need a new CPU or fast graphics card?

Comment

Thanks again.

...but if you have to work with these images perhaps you need a new CPU or fast graphics card?
                        I only use these images occasionally.

Don

Comment

3.5 GHz not state of the art? Well, then my set must be 'vintage' with 650 MHz and 256 MB ram...

A faster graphics card with more memory could help here too, I think.
                          And the Wavelet format is indeed quite slow in coding, because it's based on fractal algoritms.

And on topic:
                          Nice, Bhikkhu, with the reminder about the needing warning when scrolling to the next image.
                          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
                          X