Save As type defaults to bmp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Save As type defaults to bmp

I just upgraded to 4.10 on my new laptop and now when I open and edit a jpg the Save As dialog has changed the file type to bmp. This has led to mucho more key strokes and the occasional bmp leaking through due to my inattentiveness in changing back to jpg file type.

I have poured over the numerous options, faqs, and this forum and I cannot find a solution or anyone else experiencing this problem.

Any ideas?

The Save as.. file type defaults to whatever you used last.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks

It turns out that my wife (the user) never changed it - she just kept taking the default!

(non)Problem solved.

Comment

Well mine doesn't work

I've read this thread - I have the same problem and no matter how many times i save as .jpg the thing always defaults to .bmp, every time. It's driving me mad! I have used Irfanview for years but recently had to change to new hardware so perhaps that's the problem.

Comment

Hi

Read Settings not preserved. I hope this will help.

Laurent
          Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

I have the same problem as Perrygrove Railway. I have read the article "Settings Not Preserved", but I have no problem writing to the ini file - it is updated with current information each time I Save As.

I run Win2000. I upgraded to 4.10 some months back, but copped the 'reappearing EXIF' problem due to not upgrading my plugins.

So last week I did a clean reinstall of 4.10 and plugins, after first renaming the existing Irfanview directory to hide it. The EXIF problem was cured, but the BMP default problem has appeared.

It may be unrelated, but I note that my new ini file is very much smaller than the old one - about a quarter the size. There is a Save As section in both old and new ini files, but it only contains SaveOldDate. So I don't know where the default is or was stored, but it certainly worked in 4.10 with the wrong plugins, and in 3.?? before that.

The only hopeful-looking reference to saving as jpg in either of my ini files is is in the Batch section of the old ini file, where there is a line "SaveExtension=jpg". Doesn't sound relevant to this non-batch problem.
            Last edited by PeterMcC; 27.06.2008, 09:38 AM. Reason: clarification and additionial information

Comment

As Bhikkhu states, normal behaviour is to have the format selected when a 'save as', used in the latest save action.
              If the default gets fixed on some format when doing a 'save as', even if the latest one was saved in another format, then something's wrong, according to that rule.

I guess there are three options when starting a 'save as'.
              ~ the format most recently used, as now
              ~ a fixed, defined format to start with anyway
              ~ the format used by the original. In case one just want to change the name the file to create a new one.

One could debate about what should be the most elegant method, but I'm afraid this is too much dependent of
              the personal demands of a certain routine to do the job.
              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

The Save as… file type is defined in the [Others] section of i_view32.ini with this line:

[Others]
                SaveIndex=8

The number refers to the position of the file type in the Save as… drop down.

SaveIndex=1 is BMP
                SaveIndex=2 is ECW
                SaveIndex=3 is EMF
                SaveIndex=4 is FSH
                SaveIndex=5 is GIF
                SaveIndex=6 is ICO
                SaveIndex=7 is JP2
                SaveIndex=8 is JPG
                SaveIndex=9 is JNG
                SaveIndex=10 is JPM
                etc. ...
                Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Nice list Bhikkhu. So I can set the opening format as BMP with 1.
                  But if I saved some JPG as PNG afterwards, the line has changed to SaveIndex=17 again.
                  Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

When I "Save as...", the behaviour of IrfanView here is always to default to the last selected format. No default to BMP. I can't reproduce that problem.

PeterMcC, when you uninstalled IrfanView before reinstalling, did you remove the shortcuts too? I think at this because in a shortcut it is possible to have IrfanView using another ini file than the one present in the program directory.

You can try to add "SaveIndex=8" into the [Others] section of your ini file, but I have no great hope that it will solve the problem.
                    Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Thank you, Laurent.

My ini file did not have an [Others] section, so I added one with SaveIndex=8 and the problem appears to be solved. The JPEG was offered as the option and did not change to BMP.

But it makes me wonder -- with all those Save As I did manually changing BMP to JPEG, why was the [Others] section never created? Maybe that's a clue to the source of the problem....
                      Last edited by PeterMcC; 17.07.2008, 01:31 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                      X