Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batch Rename using Upper Case Extension

Hello All,

My first time in this forum, long time user of Irfanview... I love certain functions the program has, and the fact that it's a low-memory-using-quick-picture-viewer... Any way... This is something that has been bugging me for a while, and I was wondering why it does this.

When I use the batch rename function in IrfanView, it uses the same extension as the filename, which if it was UPPER CASE, it keeps it upper case. Could there possibly be a function to change upper case to lower case, or even change the extension completely (if it was incorrectly labelled, etc), as this part of irfanview is one of the greatest things I love about its versatility.

Thanks,
    Arden

Originally posted by ArdenD View Post
    Could there possibly be a function to change upper case to lower case/
    Use the $N parameter for filename plus ".jpg" or whatever extension you want to force. Use the rename and convert option to convert all file types to the same target file type.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hello,

What happens if I am not converting, and just renaming?

Thanks,
      Arden

Comment

Just thought I'd give a little tidbit, since I found out how to do this.

To change extensions of all files in a directory from UPPERCASE to lowercase, you have to use the windows DOS shell. Go to the directory, and type "ren *.XXX *.xxx" where XXX is the old extension, and xxx is the new. (note the case of the Xs)

Arden

Comment

(Or use the Multi-Rename tool of TC for a lowercase conversion of the filenames.)

The commandline is nice, but you have to type it. So if this is often the case, a batchfile would be more convenient.

Save these 2 lines as e.g "lower.bat" (it's only valid for one filetype) :
          @ echo off
          ren *.JPG *.jpg

You can do 2 things to use the batchfile :
          1) Copy it in the directory of the related fies and release the command 'lower'.
          Negative : you will have to remove the file afterwards to keep things clean.
          2) Copy it in an OS directory like System32.
          Then you can do the command directly if focused in any subdirectory.
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
          X