I tried opening a PDF file and the window pops up with the message:

"C:\MyDocuments\filename.pdf : decode error
    Can't load Ghostscript (AFPL version) or Ghostscript error"

Using IrfanView 4.10

thanks for your help!

Did you read this thread:

Before you post

Try a search for "Ghostscript."
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      Did you read this thread:

Before you post

Try a search for "Ghostscript."
      yes, I read some of the posts under Ghostscript. downloaded the zip file but am unable to install it. can't locate the .exe file to launch the install...

Comment

Originally posted by smogovac View Post
        yes, I read some of the posts under Ghostscript. downloaded the zip file but am unable to install it. can't locate the .exe file to launch the install...
        If you cannot run the Ghostscript installer, naturally IV cannot find the plugin to load PDF files. Please explain how that is a bug in IrfanView?

Having looked at some of the many problems reported with the Ghostscript plugin, my advice is to use a PDF viewer to view PDF files. If you want to find a solution, then search those threads for the answer. Make sure you're not downloading the source code or something else. Usually, it is best to download an EXE installer if one is available.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          If you cannot run the Ghostscript installer, naturally IV cannot find the plugin to load PDF files. Please explain how that is a bug in IrfanView?

Having looked at some of the many problems reported with the Ghostscript plugin, my advice is to use a PDF viewer to view PDF files. If you want to find a solution, then search those threads for the answer. Make sure you're not downloading the source code or something else. Usually, it is best to download an EXE installer if one is available.
          dowloaded a different version of the ghostscript, gs854w32 works for me, the gs854src.zip did not.

agreed, it is not a bug.

My intention was to resize the PDF file by using IV, not to look at PDF file just to read it. Little did I know I will have to go through this...

Comment

Originally posted by smogovac View Post
            My intention was to resize the PDF file by using IV, not to look at PDF file just to read it.
            PDF-XChange Viewer can export any page of a PDF file as an image. Try it! I think you will be impressed with what it can do.

Comment

Hi smogovac,

I guess gs854src.zip is the source code. Only gs854w32.exe is the true executable installation file.

Laurent
              Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Working...
              X