Problem with Ghostscript

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Ghostscript

I've found a few posts with similar theme but without real answers.

Problem description:
    With IrfanView 4.10 and APL Ghostscript 8.54 installed I can't open postscript file (with *.ps extension). Error message I've received:

"Can't load Ghostscript (APL version) or Ghostscript error"

But at the same time I can open this file without problems with GSView viewer, ver. 4.8.

The OS is MS WinXP SP2 PL.

Any Help?

Rgds - A.M.

Please try a search for ghostscript before posting.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

As you can see in the first line of the post I've tried. But I have no answer.

A.M.

Comment

Hi Andrzej,

Here are answers to all problems related to GhostScript ever posted on this forum:

Read them carefully and especially this post:

and I guess you'll find the solution (what is said about PDF is true for PS).

Laurent
        Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Hello Laurent,

Thank you for your replay.

Unfortunately the links you have stated don't resolve my problem. As you can see in the problem descrption, I've installed the "proper" version of the Ghostscript and the postscript.dll plugin is already installed. I don't know the reason that in this case IV can't open the PS file.

A.M.

Comment

Hi Andrzej,

Just to be sure: use Windows Explorer browse where Ghostscript is installed (usually somethong like gsx.xx), go to the bin subdirectory and run (double-click) gswin32c.exe; what is the first line displayed?

Other check: in IrfanView, go to Help / Installed plugins and browse to POSTSCRIPT.DLL. What is the version displayed?

Can you zip and post your PS so I can try? I hope it is not too big.

Laurent

Comment

Hello Laurent,

Thank you for your attention. Please find requested information below:

1. gswin32c.exe; what is the first line displayed? --> AFPL Ghostscript 8.54 (2006-05-17)

2. POSTSCRIPT.DLL. What is the version displayed? --> 3.98

3. Zipped file is enclosed, but please take into consideration, that as was stated by me before I can open the file under question with the same Ghostscript with the GS Viewer, so the file itself is not corrupted.

A.M.
              Attached Files

Comment

The question is, “Why do you want to open a high quality vector image in a bitmap image viewer like IrfanView?”

The file opens fine in Corel Draw, where you can edit it or do what you want with it. As should have been obvious from the previous threads on problems with Ghostscript, it is not a complete solution. Some files may open while others don't. People are wasting their time trying to do everything with free programs. A copy of Corel Draw Essentials can be picked up for £17.90 at Amazon.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 09.01.2008, 09:36 AM.
                Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Bhikkhu Pesala,

My question is technical, IV product related, not ideological and it's a result of the product specification. If any feature is included, should works or should be removed from the product - simple? And it doesn't matter that the product is F.O.C.

If you will have some spare time to read the post in full you will see that I already have the software to open file under question.

And if you don't know the answer to the problem and have no help, please don't post.

A.M.

Comment

Hi Andrzej,

I see two problems with your PS file:
                    1. the header should be %!PS-Adobe-3.0 (or something like that);
                    2. there is an isolated "." on line 911 of your file (3 lines before EOF) and this is not a valid PS command; delete it.
                    It will work with the corrected file.

Laurent

Comment

Originally posted by Andrzej M Michalski View Post
                      My question is technical, IV product related, not ideological and it's a result of the product specification. If any feature is included, should works or should be removed from the product - simple?
                      If you don't provide sufficient information then we cannot resolve the problem. Though it should work in an ideal world, apparently in the real world it doesn't. Therefore, you need a work-around, and for that we need to know what you're trying to acheive in IV that cannot be done in GSView (or other programs). The best solution is the one that works, now, not in the unforeseen future.

It is a moot point whether the GhostScript plugin is good enough to be included. It seems to cause more problems than it solves. Since IV is free, I think one should tolerate some things that don't quite work and just use that feature where it does work, while looking for work-arounds where it doesn't.
                      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 09.01.2008, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Hi Bhikkhu_Pesala

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                        It is a moot point whether the GhostScript plugin is good enough to be included. It seems to cause more problems than it solves.
                        In this case the problem was an error in the PS file. Ghostscript itself reports
                        Code:
                        Error: /undefined in .
                        Obviously, GSview ignores it and displays something. On the other side IrfanView is more careful and gives the right error message.

Laurent

Comment

Laurent,

Thank you very much for your attitude and help.
                          I'm happy that the problem is resolved.

Rgds - A.M.

Comment

I too had the same problem

I too had the same problem. I downloaded the program from the the Sandisk U3 program list and had the same issue. I did go on line and found a later version 4.0 and that seemed to fix it. But now I can not download the new plug ins (4.1) and can not find any U3 version for the upgrade to (4.1). I did several attempts at downloading the plug-ins from different web sites to fix this problem and un-installed/ re-installed IrfanView to get the newest version, but to no avail. I am hoping that I can get a good working version of IrfanView (with the paint.dll) working on my Sandisk Cruzer Micro U3 USB Drive so that I can have my son work on his On-Line School assignments. We are using CAVA - K12 On-line Virtual Academies which is a national home school program. By the way, I do recommend that if you can home school, one do so. Any way, I am hoping that some one here will be able to help me with This as well as AM's problem.

ps, I did e-mail the main big man himself, but have not heard from him as of yet. might be that he is real busy or it may be because it is just to soon.

pss. If Matteo Italia is a read'en this, is it possible to make the paint work like adobe or corels paint shop pro's paint brush and pencil functions. My son is using a Wacom Tablet for his school work and we have it use these two (not at the same time/computer) to write on his PDF downloaded and saved assignments. If I can get the U3 Irfan version fixed on my U3 usb drive, I will not have to find a/or use a computer that has one of these programs. Thanks a bunch for letting me write to you all.
                            peace,
                            DanL.

Originally posted by Andrzej M Michalski View Post
                            I've found a few posts with similar theme but without real answers.

Problem description:
                            With IrfanView 4.10 and APL Ghostscript 8.54 installed I can't open postscript file (with *.ps extension). Error message I've received:

"Can't load Ghostscript (APL version) or Ghostscript error"

But at the same time I can open this file without problems with GSView viewer, ver. 4.8.

The OS is MS WinXP SP2 PL.

Any Help?

Rgds - A.M.

Comment

Hi DanL,

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                              (...) I downloaded the program from the the Sandisk U3 program list and had the same issue. (...) But now I can not download the new plug ins (4.1) and can not find any U3 version for the upgrade to (4.1). I did several attempts at downloading the plug-ins from different web sites to fix this problem and un-installed/ re-installed IrfanView to get the newest version, but to no avail.
                              Download from http://www.irfanview.com

I am hoping that I can get a good working version of IrfanView (with the paint.dll) working on my Sandisk Cruzer Micro U3 USB Drive so that I can have my son work on his On-Line School assignments.
                              I Never tried to run IV from an USB memory. I don't know if it is even possible.

Laurent

Comment

Working...
                              X