no sound on capture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no sound on capture

Until last week, whenever I captured a screen IrfanView would play a sound to let me know that the capture had succeeded. But now there is no sound. Is there a setting somewhere to turn it back on?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi davidsmartin,

Here IrfanView has never played a sound when making a capture.
    In fact IrfanView never played a sound at all.
    And I saw nothing in the help file about enabling sounds for some events.

Laurent
    Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

It plays a sound when saving captures to a file with the hot key shortcut. There is no option to turn it off that I know of.

It plays no sound when displaying captures in the IV Window. There is no option to turn it on for that.

It seems obvious to me that a sound is essential when capturing to a file with a hot key, otherwise you don't know whether you pressed the right hot key or not.

However, when using a preset time interval there is no need, and it would be irritating.

Edit: In fact, it does play a sound when saving every n seconds automatically, which is annoying. Try it with transparency options set for PNG or GIF formats and a time interval of 1 second
      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 02.02.2008, 05:42 AM.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I never had any sound. I just tried it now, because I usually use the "display in window" option, and there was no sound when I had the shot saved automatically. But I know I have done that in the past too, and I don't recall any sound, ever. I would remember because I hate all automatic sound-events. If I use them at all, I have to use edited sound files, very muted.
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

If you're not hearing any sound, check Windows Control Panel, Sound Scheme, and look at the sound for the Asterisk Event.

If the sound is annoying, change it to notify.wav or a similar light ping — the default Windows XP sound is rather harsh — error.wav
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi Bhikkhu Pesala,

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
            check Windows Control Panel, Sound Scheme, and look at the sound for the Asterisk Event.
            Thanks, this explains why I never heared anything: the sheme I use is no sound.

I just choosed a sound scheme and I checked that a sound is enabled for the Asterisk event in that scheme and I hear the sound now. Too harsh indeed, and I quickly returned to no sound.

If the sound is annoying, change it to notify.wav or a similar light ping ? the default Windows XP sound is rather harsh ? error.wav
            Right, but we have to keep in mind that this will modify the Asterisk sound for all programs!

Laurent
            Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Ah, I was wondering after I opened my Big Mouth - of course, I have totally silenced Windows! But I also felt embarrassed last night when I realized that my sound card was suddenly malfunctioning too. LOL
              Its: Belongs to "It"
              It's: Shortened form of "It is"
              ---------------------
              Lose: Fail to keep
              Loose: Not tight

---------------------
              Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Nice pointing out that this concerns the asterisk sound as well.
                Quite a useful system indication when some process has finished. It occurs when I burn a CD for example.
                But of course the default system wav-files are, as matera states, far too loud, common, harsh, or bombastic.
                So I place my own custom set of wavfiles in the ..Win/Media directory. Edited to quite a low volume.
                Originally posted by Laurent
                this will modify the Asterisk sound for all programs!
                I'm glad it does. I'm not in favour of setting up the systemsounds for every application again.
                On the other hand there are apps that bring on their own function-sounds with the setup.
                Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Some reflections about the system sounds

System sounds should be only a signal, no need for perfect song presentation.
                  As it's enough for an icon to be small and only contains 16 colors.
                  So I think for most system sounds, a resolution of 22kHz 8-bits mono as a wav is quite sufficient.
                  I use one exception as stereo for the wav associated with booting up Windoze.
                  Because it's a monitor to prove that my L-R speaker system is working correctly.

Another tuning aspect is the volume. The system-mixer has a main output slider for the final volume.
                  This will normally be set to the acceptable power when playing music.
                  In this, the default system-messages are unnecessary loud, so I cut them down to 50 % (-6dB).
                  Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. I went into the control panel for sounds and clicked on the asterisk and it played a sound. I changed it and it worked. But when I capture in irfanview there is no sound.

So as an experiment, I assigned a sound to "maximize". When I maximized a window, nothing. So I changed the sound device from the recorder that is my standard (and has been for years) to my sound card. Now it works. And IrfanView makes the proper sound when I capture. Then, to continue the experiment, I changed the sound device back to my old recorder. And it still works! So the problem is solved, but Windows continues to baffle me.

Dave

Comment

Baffling it is..
                      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
                      X