Batch Scan Always Appends to First File

Hi,

using the command line
    Code:
    i_view32.exe /batchscan=(scan,1,1,2,1,D:\Temp,tif,1) /tifc=4
    creates after scanning correct the file
    Code:
    D:\temp\scan01.tif
    But using it again will append the scanned pages to the existing file.
    It should have created a second file with all the new pages (fifth parameter=1!).

Regards,
    Matthias

The dialogue says, "Skip existing file (if not multipage TIF)"

Since you are creating a multipage TIF, I think it should always append to the first file. That is by design.

Someone with more experienced with the command line options may be able to tell us if my assumptions are correct.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Oh the german version skipped the "(if not multipage TIF)" part, so that was hard to catch. Even though - what good is this option if it doesn't work for multipage tif too?

It should not be too hard to scan the directory first and then create a multipage tif instead of creating a mulitpage tif regardsless of the content. For other file types this seems too be possible

Comment

Question about batch scanning

I'm trying to make it so that the users of a scanner really have to do nothing more than click a single button to scan. I found irfanview because it has a command based interface so I thought that might be a little easier to make this happen. I found out how to do the batch scanning through the command line and now I have a couple of questions.

1.) Can you make it so that the batch scan puts multiple pages into 1 document?

2.) Can you make irfanview automatically click "scan" and then accept the image once it's been scanned in using the HP scanner software?

3.) Is there a way to have the scanned images be named with the current date and time it was scanned?

Thanks!

Comment

No one has any idea?

Comment

I had to investigate this, because so far I didn't use IV for direct scanning with the Twain function.
            I use the scanner software to get the scan and save the bitmap, and then open it with IV.

1.) I checked the 'Acquire/Batch scanning' dialog (Ctrl+Shift+A), and I guess a multipage image is possible,
            if defined as TIF format.

2.) A fuzzy question. If HP has scanned already, what's the purpose of clicking IV to scan again ?

3.) Date and time could be added in the same dialog in the 'Output file name' box.
            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Icrementing batch scanning

Good morning.

We are currently trying to find a scanning solution for one of our departments. We have been using Irfanview and it works fine except that when you click the option to increment the scanned images, it does not work.

Instead, it overwrites the already scanned documents in the output folder instead of creating a new file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David

Comment

Did you try a search? This forum has an excellent search facility.
                It works fine here. Are you saving all of the scans to a single multi-page tif image or to another format?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 03.04.2008, 09:45 AM.
                Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi.

No I go to 'acquire/batch scanning' and then select 'multiple images (Batch Mode)' and tick 'existing files', save as a TIFF and have 'save as multiple image' ticked. This scans fine first time but when you scan again it overwrites the previously scanned TIFF's

I didn't see your attachment straight away. My settings are the same as yours.
                  Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 03.04.2008, 11:22 AM.

Comment

So each new scan you make is appended to the same multipage tif file, which is working as designed. If you want to have incremented file names and single scans in each image, don't use multipage tif and check the option that says "Skip existing files (if not multipage tif)" Use JPG for smaller file sizes.

If you want to create separate multipage tif files with one file for each job, change the filename each time. It would not be very helpful to have projects in multipage tif images named as Page 01.tif, Page 02.tif, etc.., though that would be fine for separate pages of a letter or report, for example.

Comment

What we ideally want is for users to be able to scan their documents and then have them automatically save (with date or some kind of unique identifier in the filename - ie - Scan00001 - 03/04/2008) to a share on our network. We need multipage TIFF's but we need a seperate file everytime a new scan is performed.

Sorry if not explained very well.

David

Comment

Originally posted by matthias View Post
                        It should not be too hard to scan the directory first and then create a multipage tif instead of creating a mulitpage tif regardsless of the content. For other file types this seems too be possible
                        It already does scan the directory. If a multipage tif of the same name already exists in the directory the assumption is that you wish to append scans to that file. This way, you do not have to complete a job in one session — you can go and take your lunch, and resume where you left off.

If you want multiple multipage tifs, use a new file name. There doesn't seem to be any way to use variables like %d in the file name as there is with screen captures.
                        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 03.04.2008, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Use Date and Time as the filename

I'm trying to got our primary users setup so they have a simple batch scanning solution and I have 2 questions. I've posted here before and didn't get any responses so hopefully I'll get something.

1.) How can I make the filename be the current date and time instead of just a pre-set name, or have it so I could have the name be DayXXX where the XXX was the date?

2.) Is it possible to have the command line automatically hit Scan when my HP scan software launches and then accept the scan?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by jerichardson View Post
                            I've posted here before and didn't get any responses so hopefully I'll get something.
                            That is not true. Sam Zen responded, see above (I have merged both of your threads with this one). Please search before posting and don't post duplicate threads. If you don't get any response, try to clarify your question, or add some new information to the original thread. If there is no reply, maybe that is because nobody knows the answer.

1) AFAIK you cannot use date/time stamps or any other variables in file names when using batch scanning. At least, I tried it, and found that it doesn't work. You get a file name like "Filename %d 01.tif"

2) You can use a command line to invoke your scanner. See i_options.txt
                            Example for /batchscan=(options):
                            options = all 8 options from the batch scan dialog:
                            filename, index, increment, digits, skip, dest-folder, save-extension, multi-tif
                            i_view32.exe /batchscan=(scanfile,1,1,2,1,c:\temp,bmp,0)
                            i_view32.exe /batchscan=(scanfile,1,1,2,1,c:\temp,bmp,0) /dpi=(150,150)
                            i_view32.exe /batchscan=(scanfile,1,1,2,0,c:\temp,tif,1)
                            i_view32.exe /batchscan=(scanfile,1,1,2,1,c:\temp,bmp,0) /scanhidden
                            Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 03.04.2008, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                              That is not true. Sam Zen responded, see above (I have merged both of your threads with this one). Please search before posting and don't post duplicate threads. If you don't get any response, try to clarify your question, or add some new information to the original thread. If there is no reply, maybe that is because nobody knows the answer.

1) AFAIK you cannot use date/time stamps or any other variables in file names when using batch scanning. At least, I tried it, and found that it doesn't work. You get a file name like "Filename %d 01.tif"

2) You can use a command line to invoke your scanner. See i_options.txt
                              No doubt writing batch files is becoming a lost art. I recently used the IV command line features to create a batch file that launches the scanner interface. The scan is stored to a temp file and opened with IV so further processing of the tiff maybe completed. In this case I'm using the imPDF plugin to save the scan as a PDF. The contents of the temp folder is deleted at the start of the scan so it is not appended to an old scan.

@Echo off
                              Echo This will initiate a scan with the current settings in IrfanView.
                              Echo The file will be Saved as a PDF .
                              Echo Press Ctrl-Break to cancel
                              del /q c:\scantemp\*.*
                              "C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" /batchscan (Scanfile,1,1,0,0,c:\scantemp,tif,1)
                              "C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" c:\scantemp\Scanfile1.tif /convert=Scanfile1.pdf
                              Yes you can name the files with a date stamp. For example here I used the FOR command to extract the weekday token from the %Date% and assigned it to a variable called %Weekday%.

FOR /f %%a in ("%DATE%") do set WeekDay=%%a
                              "C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" /batchscan=(%Weekday%,1,1,0,0,c:\scantemp,tif,1)
                              "C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" c:\scantemp\%Weekday%1.tif
                              set Weekday=
                              You'll get a scanned file named Mon1.tif -that is, if it is Monday. You can extract other date & time tokens and manipulate the string so it doesn't violate any file naming rules. You can get a file name like 6-23-08.14.30.tif Here's a link to a useful site:

Hope that helps.
                              Mark
                              Last edited by MGuzzy; 23.06.2008, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X