Parsing Exif Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parsing Exif Info

I am completely new to this forum. I am trying to use a macro script program (AutoIt) to parse EXIF info so I can batch rename jpg files yyyymmdd-hhmmss.jpg to determine chronological order. But I cannot figure out a keystroke (non-mouse) operation to copy the EXIF info to my clipboard so I can parse the data. Control-C doesn't do the job on either of my XP computers. Can someone please tell me a keystroke sequence to capture the EXIF window information to the clipboard?

Thanks

Parsing EXIF info

I mistakenly posted a similar query to feedback forum. Please forgive me for the error. I am trying to use a macro program (AutoIt) to parse EXIF info and rename jpgs as yyyymmdd-hhmmss.jpg to be able to sort them chronologically. I cannot figure out a keystroke (i.e., non-mouse) sequence to put the EXIF screen info onto my clipboard for parsing. When I bring up the EXIF screen, control-c does not do the job. Can someone help?

Thanks

Comment

There doesn't seem to be one. On most dialogue boxes you can Tab to get to the next control, but not on that one. As you say, Control C does nothing, and there are no access keys. Bad design.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I believe there is a way.

I tend to think there is a way to do it. I had written a script earlier that worked, but I sent my computer in for repair and HP returned it with a complete HD reformat and reinstall of XP SP2. But I can't find the path to a solution now. I hope someone can come up with a solution.

Thanks

Comment

You can sort files by EXIF date in the Thumbnail viewer. Is that any use?
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Response by JerryI

Might be useful, and I'll look into it, but I really want to add the date/time stamp to the filename. It baffles me that I cannot find a keystroke solution, as I'm sure I found one a few months ago.

I may have to use some kind of cursor mapping and manipulation routine, but I didn't have to do so before, and it might end up being computer-specific, depending on resolution settings, etc. The whole IV save-to-clipboard operation seems a little flaky at times. I wonder if the loss if keystroke functionality might be due to an IV version upgrade. I uploaded IV a couple days ago after losing all my files as a result of HP's reformat. I hadn't thought to back-up my AutoIt scripts.

I hope that someone can come up with something that we're overlooking.

Thx

Comment

Is the problem IV or the IV add-in

Since you can't access EXIF without installing the IV add-ins, I suspect the problem might be with the add-in. Is there any likelihood that whoever is in charge might correct the apparent bug (no alt or ctrl navigability to the box) in some reasonable timeframe. How do we report the perceived problem to get it to whoever might be interested in helping?

Comment

IV can batch-rename jpegs according to EXIF info, I would think that is easier than going round about with a macro. You need to look up the Text/Pattern Options in the IV Help

The AHK command would have to include watching for a window with "EXIF info" as the end of a caption string, and then a keystroke or mouseclick would be sent to a button labeled "Copy to clipboard". But that just gets the whole shebang.
                Its: Belongs to "It"
                It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                ---------------------
                Lose: Fail to keep
                Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Can your macro tabulate to the "Copy to Clipboard" button and "hit" the Enter key?

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

There is no way to tab in the dialoge box.
                    Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                    There doesn't seem to be one. On most dialogue boxes you can Tab to get to the next control, but not on that one. As you say, Control C does nothing, and there are no access keys. Bad design.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                      There is no way to tab in the dialoge box.
                      oooops! But there was - in IV 3.98

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Hi JerryI,

Why don't use IrfanView's batch rename, using $E306 as new filename? $E306 is the EXIF placeholder containing date/time. It works very fine

Merged two threads with same subject and question.

Laurent
                        Last edited by Laurent; 27.03.2008, 11:16 AM.
                        Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Working...
                        X