Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JPG in context menu

Hello,

the Windows context menu offers only "New - Irfanview BMP file". Is it possible to create JPGs instead of BMPs through the context menu? Is there a special plugin?

Thank you!
    Regards,
    Marcos

I've never noticed that option before. It doesn't seem to work.

You can start a new image from the Image menu in IrfanView and save it in whatever format you like.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi Marcos,

This context menu probably just creates a file with the appropriate header, but no image data. I see no interest threrein. To create a new image, use a dedicated program.

Laurent
      Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

The reason that the BMP file is in the context menu/New is that it is a Windows default new file item. When you associated BMP files with IrfanView, it simply changed the default program to open the file. Originally it would have been opened by Paint, blank and ready to scribble or paste into -- and to be resized to whatever dimensions you needed. It was there in the menu all the time, but not as visible before its icon changed!

It is possible to add new file types to the "New" menu, but I doubt that you want to edit the registry to do it. It is possible to take things out of the New menu -- and often desirable, because a lot gets put in it that you may never use. In Windows XP (and below) the approriate version of Tweakui has always served well. Newer "tweaking" tools are available.

Edited to add: I wonder if it would be possible to add a generic "New IrfanView File" that could be saved as... Hmm. I do like to use the New menu when I am browsing around my files and decide that I want to start a project and want it saved in a certain place (while I am there, so to speak) without having to browse awkwardly in a tiny save dialog. Or cope with things that always want to go straight to My #&%^$* Documents, where I don't store anything because of bad experiences with losing things in the past.
        Last edited by matera; 20.04.2008, 01:36 AM. Reason: brain bubble
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Working...
        X