Converting gifs to jpgs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting gifs to jpgs

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before. I am a bit of an amateur where graphics are concerned so can any replies be in computer illiterate, simple step by step English please?

When converting inanimate gif files to jpg using batch conversion, the background colour changes, e.g. pink, white to black. Is there any way to stop this? Thanks

Hi Maddy12,

In the JPEG options, did you check this box?

Laurent
    Attached Files
    Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

<del>I can confirm that transparency is not being rendered during batch conversion.</del>

But the need to convert GIF to lossy JPEG should arise very rarely, certainly not in large batches.

Edit: Actually no. PNG Alpha is not rendered, GIF single color transparency is. Have you enabled it in the viewer? Preferences->Show transparency in non-animated GIFs too. I dunno how it's in French.
      Last edited by j7n; 25.05.2008, 11:32 AM.

Comment

@Laurent: dialogue boxes in French are not much help to most of us. Please go to Properties, Language and change it to English before taking the screenshot. I don't think save as greyscale is the problem here, anyway.

Enable the JPG/PCD/GIF option to display transparency, then the background of transparent GIF images will be shown as the background colour that you choose in Properties, Viewing.

When the batch operation runs that background colour will be used for the JPG.

If the show transparency option is disabled, then the transparent colour of the GIF will be what you see in the viewer if you open it in the viewer, and that colour will used for the background of the JPG. The transparent background can be any colour in the 256 colour palette — black, white, pink, or whatever.

As mentioned before, there is rarely a good reason for converting GIF to JPG. It will not necessarily make the images smaller, and will always reduce their quality. Some GIF images will work better as PNG. As with most rules, there are exceptions.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 25.05.2008, 12:13 PM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks for responses. I create tilesets for Mahjong Towers Eternity on another forum(mte-underground), sometimes forum members want to use gif images in tilesets. The tiles have to be an exact size. So to change the size we need to change the file type. We are fumbling around with irfanview and this question came up. The experts on our forum have suggested photoshop etc., but for rookies like me irfanview is more user friendly. I will take a longer look in the options dialog boxes you mention.

Thanks for the screenshots.

Comment

Hi Bhikkhu,

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
            @Laurent: dialogue boxes in French are not much help to most of us. Please go to Properties, Language and change it to English before taking the screenshot.
            I will not do that. I am tired to switch endlessly to english and back to french to read the exact namings in english or to make captures. And due to my poor english the "free" translations I make are not good. The point is that whatever the language is the controls have the same place in the dialogs, so I believe the captures with french are useful.

Laurent

Comment

p.s. I understand enough French - merci Laurent!

Comment

Originally posted by Laurent View Post
                The point is that whatever the language is the controls have the same place in the dialogs, so I believe the captures with french are useful.
                I can assure you that they are not useful if you don't read French. I always have to check the dialogue in English to know what you're referring to. For newbies who are not familiar with the dialogue options it will be even less useful.

Use another shortcut with the English.dll loaded just for making screenshots, then you don't have to keep switching back and forth. Create a folder \English\ in your IV program folder, and store the English version ini there.

Shortcut Target = "C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" /ini "English"
                Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi Bhikkhu,

Thanks for the tip. Better with this parameter:
                  /ini="C:\Program Files\IrfanView\inEnglish\"

Laurent

Comment

By looking at the French screenshot at first I thought you want him to record the "gamma" value.

What can you tell about PNG Alpha support, which doesn't work? Maybe it's present in v4.10 already...

Comment

Hi j7n,

If you are asking the question to me, I would answer that at first I supposed Maddys's problem was a color to black/white problem.

I can't say much about PNG alpha support.

Laurent

Comment

Working...
                      X