Sharpening Images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharpening Images

I used to use IrfanView to sharpen my images and resize.
    But now the images look very bad with jagged edges
    and it is since I downloaded the latest IrfanView.
    OS Vista

Please if anybody can help.

Thanks!

Jagged already before, or after the resizing ?
    I ask this, because there are two ways to do sharpen and rezize, considering the order.
    1) you can do Sharpen with Shift+S first, then do the Resize, or
    2) Goto Resize, with 'Apply sharpen after Resample' enabled. (so reversed order) (a bad method imo)

So check the settings in the Resize dialog (Ctrl+R). Make sure that 'Resample' is enabled in the Size method anyway.
    There's also a value of Sharpen in the INI file in the [Effects] group. (Can't find any dialog with this)
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Hi Sam,

1) There is no resizing involved and it is not the small jagged edges of over-sharpening. They were big edges! But I juggled around with all the settings and nothing happened. After a while I tried again. The problem was still there.
      Then I pressed Sharpen and the jagged edges were gone! I undid the Sharpen and the jagged edges were gone and they still are gone!!
      I cannot explain it but I am glad it is gone!!

Thankyou.

2) Sharpen. If I must start a new thread please tell me.
      In the past when I sharpened I just pressed Sharpen and it was perfect. Now I must press several times to get the same effect and it is difficult to decide.
      Is there perhaps a setting for Sharpen ? So I can set it and leave it.

Thanks,
      Jan

Comment

Control E will bring up the effects dialogue, where you can set the value for Sharpen.

The slider gives no feedback in the field, which gives no feedback as you change its position, but moving the slider does change the amount of sharpening applied.
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 03.06.2008, 05:52 AM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
        X