Custom crop in fixed pixel size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom crop in fixed pixel size?

Is there away to crop in fixed pixel size?
    If I have an image around 4000x4000, and I want to crop small part of it to create an icon, is there a way to crop it in say 200x200?
    I tried custom crop, but IrfanView will automatically resize the pixel size to the ratio i specified.

thanks

Custom crop is the way to go. Select none for the aspect ratio.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Is there a way to resize the area of the crop and still retain fixed pixel size? I chose none for aspect ratio and rezied the crop, but it save the file into much large pixel size.

thanks

Comment

Explain what do you mean by pixel size! If you chose 200x200 and then resized the area, then of course there will be more or less pixels. Do you mean different aspect ratio (not 1:1)?

Comment

Originally posted by ciretos View Post
          Is there a way to resize the area of the crop and still retain fixed pixel size? I chose none for aspect ratio and rezied the crop, but it save the file into much large pixel size.
          thanks
          I suspect that you are viewing your cropped image with the View option set at Fit to Window or Fit to Desktop. Press Ctrl+H to see the image as it really is, with one pixel of the image represented by one pixel on your screen. If you stretch a 200x200 image to fill the screen then each image pixel will be seen as a block of screen pixels and will look big. The file does not save the size of a pixel, only its color.

Comment

Mij, might be right but I think what the OP wants to do is create an icon from a selected part of an image. He/she wants the end result to be 200x200 regardless of the size of the selection.

If so, it can be done in two steps. First crop the image to the desired part. Then resize the cropped image to 200x200.

If aspect ratio is unimportant, that’s all there is to it. If you want to be sure to there is no distortion, you’ll need to start with an exactly square selection. One way (probably easiest) is to create a custom crop selection box that is square. Then right-mouse button drag the selection box to the correct location. Resize the selection box by pressing the control key while left-mouse button dragging the border. You will probably have to repeat the adjust location/resize steps several times to get exactly what you want.

Comment

Cropping to an icon

Originally posted by ciretos View Post
              If I have an image around 4000x4000, and I want to crop small part of it to create an icon, is there a way to crop it in say 200x200?
              When you want to crop an icon from a (part of) an image, you could act as follows:
              • Pull a selection over the part you want to use and keep looking at the top-bar of IrfanView showing the measurements. You can change your selection afterwards by clicking on the borders of the region to enlarge/reduce the region to 200x200 pixels;
              • Hit the shortkey Ctrl+y
              As you'll know the usual measure of an icon is 32x32 pixels. Succes.

Comment

Working...
              X