Trouble editing large jpg's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble editing large jpg's

I am trying to edit a very large jpg file and am having trouble with it. The file is in excess of 50 meg. I am trying to rotate the file using the advanced rotation to about 50 degrees but after applying the edit the jpg just returns to its original rotation. Is there a size limitation when working with jpg's? Any advice would be appreciated.

I think you don't have enough memory. See what size the uncompressed data is, either by looking at the status bar or in a Windows task manager.

It might not be possible to add enough memory, because of limit how many bytes can one single application get from the system: it's either 2 or 3 Gigs. If that's the case, try using Photoshop. It has its own virtual memory. The process will be damn slow and put great load on your harddisk, but may be possible.

Also while working with graphics that approach the amount of free memory, Undo must be disabled (Preferences -> Misc 1).
    Last edited by j7n; 16.07.2008, 11:18 PM.

Comment

50 Mbytes is large for a JPG. I tried with an image of > 8,000 pixels square, and the Paint Plugin failed to rotate it. However, using custom rotate from the Image menu worked OK.

Using PagePlus, it was very simple to rotate a large image (> 4,000 pixels square) freely by dragging the corner handle. Rotation was instant.

In Micrografx Picture Publisher 6.0, I opened the same image, doubled its size and rotated it by 42° in less than a minute. By comparison, IrfanView struggled with this task.
      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 16.07.2008, 09:34 PM.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
      X