Converting from RAW to TIF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting from RAW to TIF

I notice when I save from Canon's RAW image format to TIF in IrfanView, my file size goes from 9.7 megabytes to 7.1 megabytes, even when I select "no compression". What is getting lost? why is it shrinking?

Google is your Friend

If you save as PNG — which is also a lossless format like TIF — you will probably save a lot more disk space. As a storage format for originals PNG or TIF are practical, while RAW format is not so useful.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Well, I cannot agree with Bhikkhu about sizes. When converting my Nikon's NEF files to PNG using IrfanView or any other viewer, -without compression- the PNG file will be 3 times larger. Also my Canon's CR2 files gets 3 times larger in TIF or PNG. When I convert a DNG file (Adobe RAW) to TIF though, it keeps almost the same size. Converting a RAW file to JPG without compression saves more disk space than converting a RAW file to PNG with compression.

The EXIF info of the RAW file disappears when converting to TIF, but that shouldn't make that much difference. Co-operation between camera factories about one RAW format seems -for the time being- impossible because of... money?

In the end, I'm puzzeled about your TIF file being smaller then your RAW file after converting.

Comment

Working...
      X