height to width printed pictures not correct ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

height to width printed pictures not correct ratio

OK, I'm embarrassed to even ask this question but I need a little help. My camera captures jpg images at 2304x3072.
    When I try to print 4x6 pictures I get the correct size in the height but the width is stretched making the picture out of proportion.
    When printing I use the CUSTOM setting of 6x4 (WxH).
    What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks!

The aspect ratio of your images, like most, is 6:4.5 not 6:4 that is why they are stretched when you select 6:4.

Crop your pictures first if you want to produce standard 6" x 4" photo prints.

Custom Crop (shortcut Shift C) has 3:2 aspect ratio crop. Hold the Control Key while resizing the crop area to maintain the aspect ratio. Right click to move it.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Cropping is only good, if you are willing to lose part of the picture. If you aren't, then it is better to print them with a height of 4, at the current aspect ratio, giving you a size of about 4x5.333. You will then have to possibly cut off the unused space after printing, if you use standard 4x6 paper. If you aren't willing to waste paper, then you'll have to compromise by going back to cropping.

If you aren't using 4x6 paper, then you could print at whatever size works for you, while keeping the aspect ratio to prevent distortion. It might help to use some type of layout tool to print more than one image per page.

Comment

thanks

Thank you Bhikkhu and Skippybox.
        I have tried both and both have addressed my problem.
        In some cases cropping works just fine but in other instances where I don't want to lose a part of the image printing at the current ratio with a height of 4 is the answer.
        Thanks again to both of you for your help!
        mwm

Comment

Trimmed ...
          Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
          ...then you could print at whatever size works for you, while keeping the aspect ratio to prevent distortion. It might help to use some type of layout tool to print more than one image per page.
          I normally print with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer which allows selecting images and doing some basic layout. It crops rather than adding white space or distorting. The only way I see to not crop is to add some white space around the image. Does Irfanview have a feature I've missed to either

1. print multiple images on one sheet without cropping or stretching
          OR
          2. to add white space (or a small dot, perhaps) to change aspect ratio without stretching?

If it does neither, what do home users use as a layout tool for multiple images that meets this want of mine?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by gbynum View Post
            Does Irfanview have a feature I've missed to either

1. print multiple images on one sheet without cropping or stretching
            Somewhat. From the thumbnails window you can choose File>Create contact sheet or File>Start Panorama dialog.

2. to add white space (or a small dot, perhaps) to change aspect ratio without stretching?
            You can do a custom layout using a canvas or simply add canvas to your individual images. Image>Add canvas and Image>Create New (empty) image. You can use Edit>Create custom crop selection (SHIFT+C) to aid in the placement of images on a canvas.
            If it does neither, what do home users use as a layout tool for multiple images that meets this want of mine?
            While IrfanView is quite capable, print layout is not one of its strongest features. XnView has some interesting options. I prefer commercial software for more powerful layout tools, but I'm sure there is freeware out there.

Your best option for more custom work is to get a true desktop publishing application, like PagePlus SE. This kind of program gives you great control over layout, positioning, size, rotation, layering, etc. with precision. Of course, if you are looking for more of an automated process with presets you should try one of the other applications.

Comment

You can do a custom layout using a canvas or simply add canvas to your individual images. Image>Add canvas
              I hadn't understood the canvas option; while the menu is different in IrfanView 4.1, I just need to add to come pretty close to a 1.44:1 proportion for the 3.5x5 or 5x7.25 that MS uses. I've not measured the other sizes for proportions, but that won't be hard.

I don't do this often and don't need anything fancy; THANKS!

Comment

Yes, the canvas option is named differently in 4.1 vs. 4.2, but the dialogs are the same. Your image is in pixels so you have to work with that measurement.

EXAMPLE:

So let's say you are working with a 1536x2048 picture with aspect ration of 3:4 or 0.75, but you want a 3.5"x5" print, which is 0.70. Obviously, to lower the fraction you must lengthen the longest side of 2048. So, 1536px/3.5"=438.86dpi*5"=2194px. Taking the difference, 2194px-2048px=146px.

From there, you can go to the dialog and enter on either the left or the right side a border of 146, or divide it equally (73) among both sides to center the image. Now, your image has dimensions of 1536x2194, with an aspect ratio of 0.70 or 3.5:5. Yeah!

Comment

EXAMPLE:

So let's say you are working with a 1536x2048 picture with aspect ration of 3:4 or 0.75, but you want a 3.5"x5" print, which is 0.70. Obviously, to lower the fraction you must lengthen the longest side of 2048. So, 1536px/3.5"=438.86dpi*5"=2194px. Taking the difference, 2194px-2048px=146px.

From there, you can go to the dialog and enter on either the left or the right side a border of 146, or divide it equally (73) among both sides to center the image. Now, your image has dimensions of 1536x2194, with an aspect ratio of 0.70 or 3.5:5. Yeah!
                  Yep, I did it exactly the same way, but had started with a cropped image. My camera is 3:2 ... let's say 2:3 or 0.67 so the narrow needs to be increased. I think I'll work on a command line script to do it for the the 0.7 so when my wife takes a key drive in for prints we loose less. Theoretical 116 split 2 sides ...

THANKS!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X