Batch scanning won't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batch scanning won't work

Okay, here's the thing. I have a HP PSC scanner. I've been using IrfanView because I need to batch scan a lot of images.

The thing is, when I batch scan, it ALWAYS scan to IrfanView, and the TWAIN Dialog closes every bloody time. I have looked up 20 million tips, and asked 20 million friends that use the bloody thing, and at one point, I went through all my settings and changed them to be identical to my friend who batch scans frequently, and she doesn't encounter the same problem.

I am BATCH SCANNING, not SINGLE SCANNING. I don't like HP Scanning closing every time it finishes one scan, THEN wait another 30 bloody minutes for the scan preview to load, THEN scan & change my resolution, sharpness, etc etc settings every single time.

It's really frustrating. I've downgraded & upgraded to several versions, up to 4.23 or whatever the current version is, and down to 3.91. Yet I encounter the same bloody problem every single time.

I thought it might be a problem with my scanner, but I even tried my other scanner in the room next door (also a HP) and encountered the same problem.

I'm on the verge of just going to Wal-Mart & getting a Canon flat-bed non-PSC scanner, but I've stopped myself with the fear that it's not the HP scanner's fault, and that the same thing will occur, HP or not.

Help please. I'm really frustrated.

Most likely a driver problem. Search for driver updates.

All is working fine here in IrfanView and XnView with my Epson TWAIN driver. I have never noticed a problem with any version of IrfanView.

Try scanning from XnView.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I upgraded my driver (actually, pretty much just reinstalled the entire scanner last night...) same result.

I'll try XnView.

But... another thing... I'm not sure if this is of any relevance... but when I scan, it says "Scanning to Irfanview", then after the scan is complete, the TWAIN dialog closes & the image shows up on IrfanView as if it's a lone scan.

EDIT: Thanks, Bhikkhu Pesala. It worked with XnView, but not with Irfan, so I'm glad it's not a problem with my scanner. ^^;
      Last edited by Dubby; 10.01.2009, 07:24 AM.

Comment

So have you got Single Image or Multiple images selected in the Acquire/Batch scanning setup dialog, and is Close TWAIN dialog after acquiring image checked or not?

Comment

Afraid I cannot help then.
          I have the same operating system and Irfanview version as you but an earler Canon scanner (Lide60). That works fine in both modes.
          I mentioned that Close TWAIN dialog after acquiring image option for the Single Image mode because I notice that it stays checked (although grayed out) when you select Multiple image mode. It has no effect in Multiple image mode for me (the TWAIN dialog remains displayed after each scan) but I just wondered if it might be relevant to your problem.

Comment

HP typical BS

Originally posted by Dubby View Post
            It worked with XnView, but not with Irfan, so I'm glad it's not a problem with my scanner. ^^;
            Did not try XnView yet, but I used many other non-HP scanners in Irfan and they all worked fine in batch mode.
            Every time I use an HP product, printer, scanner or laptop, it ruins my day because of poor design, lack of options or automatic "help" that I don't need, but cannot get rid of either. Not even sure anymore which is worse, MS or HP...
            Case in point, it's impossible to batch-scan with HP AIO -- I tried Irfan and other graphics & PDF software, the scanner is simply oblivious to the concept of 'batch' and just won't work. This is true for both the minimal installation of the scanner driver AND the full bloated HP environment that nobody needs. Not to mention that you are forced into a pre-scan (waste of time) as well as an automatic cropping (always wrong, again waste of time), with no options to disable either of these.

EDIT: I just tried out XnView, no luck either. It doesn't even have an option for batch scan, and the only (non-UI !) hack mentioned is not working. Also, it does not keep track of the last increment in file naming, and forgets the drive letter, yet remembers the path. Another POS.
            Apparently you have to steer clear of HP products, and buy Canon, Epson or something more serious.
            Last edited by Bh77; 16.10.2011, 04:06 PM.

Comment

I have the same problem with an HP Officejet 6310xi, regardless of which application invokes TWAIN (whether Irfanview, Thumbs Plus, or something else), the scanner dialog closes after transferring each page. This is only an issue with the HP scanner (not with my Cannon CanoScan LIDE 100, Visioneer OneTouch 8920, or any other scanner). Unless I find a solution soon, I'm going to ditch HP and recommend against it for my clients.

Note: Based on a suggestion on another site* I set my scan preferences to include "Prompt for Additional Scans from Glass" as follows, but it did not help. The scanner dialog still closes after I click "Accept" and transfer just one image:
              1) open the Solution Center (inside of the HP folder listed in the "All Programs" menu).
              2) Click on "Settings" after the program opens.
              3) Click "Scan Settings," "Scan Preferences."
              4) Click on the "Automatic" tab.
              5) Click on the "Prompt for Additional Scans from Glass/TMA" check box.
              6) Click "OK."
              6) Close the open dialog box and launch the scanning program you want to use.
              *http://hpphotoscanner.danielcadams.c...heets-on-a-hp/
              Last edited by RichPasco; 09.03.2013, 06:53 PM. Reason: Add additional information

Comment

Link to detailed info from an hp forum

I have the same problem and I found the following helpful in understanding (and partly solving) the problem:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scannin...d/td-p/2467509

I have an hp PSC1610. I'm on Win7; For some reason I don't have the full hp environment installed (thank God I don't need it) and still have a limited dialog box. It closes every time. How can we get hp to listen to our need for a scanner driver that allows batch scanning from 3rd party programs?
                Geoffrey in Thailand

Comment

Working...
                X