Ghostscript Error on Loading a PDF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ghostscript Error on Loading a PDF

I tried to open pdf file in irfanview (4.23) at 64 vista home premium, it gave an "Decode error!". "can't load ghostscript or ghostscript error!"
    I installed the ghostscript from http://sourceforge.net, and I still have the same error. Can somebody help me?

Thanx,

Did you install the gs864w64.exe package?

Comment

Yes, I did. But, I still have the error. The pdf files were created by cutepdf writer.

Comment

Please upload such pdf file, which caused the error message!

Comment

The file is my prive file, I can not share it. I created the file by printing a secure website with cutepdf writer. It could be related to IE and cutepdf.

Comment

If you create a PDF of this page or some other document can you load it in IrfanView?
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I had the same problem when trying to open write protected pdf files. Thus, I reinstalled the GhostScript from sourceforge.
              Now I can't open even the pdfs that worked before.
              For example: the attached, freshly converted pdf from this site, made with PDFCreator.
              Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 19.03.2009, 01:17 PM.

Comment

The attachment seems not to be valid, but if I edit your post, I can save the attachment. Then it opens OK in IrfanView 4.23 on Windows XP Home. I have reattached it to my own post and deleted the one from yours.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 19.03.2009, 01:18 PM.
                Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

maybe you've been too quick, cus i had to edit the post and replace the attachment.
                  But it's ok.

Comment

Ok, i've tried something.
                    I created a pdf from this site via PDFCreator. It opens with Foxit PDF Reader (3.0) and shows no problems.
                    I save it from the Foxit and try to open it with IView. Error message appears.
                    I open the pdf again using Acrobat Reader (8.1.3) and save it under a different name.
                    Then I try to open it using IView again - now it works.

Is there a problem with the pdf creator software (cutePDF/PDFCreator)?
                    P.S.: This also works when opening and saving from Foxit Reader.

Next actions:
                    I upgraded to IView 4.23. Problem remains.
                    I upgraded the plugins. Problem remains.
                    I changed a setting in PDFCreator, viz. resolution 300dpi (600 before). Now it works without re-saving the pdf made from the thread. But it still produces an error for other pdfs, e.g. made from an e-mail text (see attachment).

Now I changed settings in PDFCreator to use the AFPL GhostScript (8.54) instead of the internal GPL GhostScript (8.54). Problem remains.
                    I tried using Foxit PDF creator. Problem remains.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Thoskk; 19.03.2009, 02:39 PM.

Comment

That PDF also opens fine in IrfanView.

Comment

@Thoskk,

Why not update PDFCreator?
                        The current version is 0.9.7 (February 3, 2009)!
                        Perhaps this problem was solved?!

The problem in this thread could be a similar problem as in these two threads:
                        - "error message if loading some files in tiff format "
                        - "IrfanView kann (einige) Dateien im TIF-Format nicht öffnen!"

Comment

The above tests were accomplished on system [3] (signature).
                          On system [1], IView works fine with all pdfs.

Maybe this is a more specific problem with [3].

Comment

still not working, even worse

Ok,
                            I made some changes on System [3], but I still cant open all pdfs with IView.
                            I uninstalled anything that has something to do with PDF and GhostScript, viz. PDFCreator, AFPL and GPL GhostScript, PDF Explorer, Foxit Reader and iPDF, as well as IView itself.
                            Then I only installed the components I need in the near future, viz. GPL GhostScript, PDFCreator and IView (always latest version).

But I didnt see the expected results. This version of IrfanView on this specific PC still won't open the PDFs it hasn't before. Even more: Now it wont open ANY PDF. The Problem got worse.

Any ideas?
                            Thoskk

Comment

Hi dadasmurat,

Originally posted by dadasmurat View Post
                              The file is my prive file, I can not share it. I created the file by printing a secure website with cutepdf writer. It could be related to IE and cutepdf.
                              Then create another file and post it.

Laurent
                              Last edited by Laurent; 29.03.2009, 12:53 PM.
                              Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Working...
                              X