Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with photo's order...

Hello...
    I'm the Irfan View's french translator...
    In the last version (4.25) it seems to me have found a problem:

When I press PGUP or PGDown, the program does not move to the previous photo or next photo, it displays a random picture in the folder... It is therefore impossible to browse a folder photo by photo in chronological order...

Could you help me please ??? With all the oldest version, thet’s works fine !

Could you help me ?

Thanks

Phil
    ==-- Phil --==

It seems to working fine here. What is the sort order in the Thumbnails view?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi...
      Thanks... That's work fine... I forget this option...
      ==-- Phil --==

Comment

I find it rather odd that you have a choice of 11 sort options in the main Browser view under Options >Sort Directory files but a choice of 21 sort options in Thumbnail view under Options >Sort Thumbnails.
        Yet both set the same file order in both views.

Confusing in any language

Comment

Yes, so why not have both menus look identical?

Comment

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
            Yes, so why not have both menus look identical?
            Because the thumbnails menu is too long for general use.

More options is not always better as it takes longer to find the one that you need. If you need to sort by Exif date or image dimensions, use the thumbnail view where the Exif data is shown.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
              Because the thumbnails menu is too long for general use.

More options is not always better as it takes longer to find the one that you need. If you need to sort by Exif date or image dimensions, use the thumbnail view where the Exif data is shown.
              I agree. I only mentioned it because it would help users know what the sorting method was, since it is not indicated well. It's possible users might not realize that there are two menus or forget what they have done (like PhilFon). On the contrary, the menu reveals no method checked, so that may be enough. Plus, it gets returned to normal when you restart anyway.

Still, I think Exif date is considerably important for the viewer. Wouldn't that be quite typical as your sort order for camera images? Seems unnecessary to use Thumbnails for that.

Comment

Still, I think Exif date is considerably important for the viewer. Wouldn't that be quite typical as your sort order for camera images? Seems unnecessary to use Thumbnails for that.
                I don't have a camera.

Comment

I don't have a camera.
                  That explains your rather puzzling rationale for not having Sort by Exif date on the main Browser menu. Most camera owners would surely prefer to browse their pictures in the order that they were taken (Exif date) rather than by the date that they were last modified, especially if they have resized or rotated some since downloading from their camera.

Thought! Maybe Irfan does not have a camera either.

Comment

Puzzling indeed. Wouldn't it be great if all the features Bhikkhu didn't use were removed from IrfanView? That would slim it down.

I think it would good to get rid of the redundancy in the menu. Make descending a single option to enable/disable at the bottom. That would cut 5 entries, enough to insert the extra 5 entries from Thumbnails. In the end you would still have 11 entries, plus the descending option.

Comment

The ideal solution would be a customisable menu and keyboard as in Opera, and mouse gestures too. Plain text INI files would be good enough.

Comment

I'm open to something like that.

Comment

Puzzling indeed. Wouldn't it be great if all the features Bhikkhu didn't use were removed from IrfanView? That would slim it down.
                          I couldn't possibly comment......

I think it would good to get rid of the redundancy in the menu. Make descending a single option to enable/disable at the bottom. That would cut 5 entries, enough to insert the extra 5 entries from Thumbnails. In the end you would still have 11 entries, plus the descending option.
                          ...but that's a good idea.

Comment

The ideal solution would be a customisable menu and keyboard as in Opera, and mouse gestures too. Plain text INI files would be good enough.
                            Do you mean having all the entries in the menu customisable too?

The original issue was the confusion caused by having menu options in the Browser and apparently different ones in Thumbnails that actually do the same thing. Are we not just inviting customised confusion?

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                              Are we not just inviting customised confusion?
                              If people design their own menus they only have one person to blame if they find it confusing. It might make support more difficult, but in Opera I can quickly revert to the default menus and keyboard to check what they are for most users.

Comment

Working...
                              X