Can't view TIF image w/ Group 4 Fax Encoding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't view TIF image w/ Group 4 Fax Encoding

IV works fine on most of my TIF images, but images of electric logs from oil and gas wells appear as solid white images. Under image properties the number of both original colors and current colors is 2 (1 BitsPerPixel)and the number of unique colors is 1.
    If I open the image in Photoshop and convert it to a grayscale image, I can then open the converted image with IV (see zip attachment for original and converted images). Unfortunatley, many of the TIF images I need to view in IV are longer than 32,000 pixels, so I can't open and convert them with PhotoShop.
    As I've just downloaded IV today, I'm sure there is something very simple that I have overlooked to fix this probem, but just can't figure out what it is. Any suggestions? Thanks ahead of time to anyone offering solutions.
    Attached Files

I don't know what the problem is with IrfanView, I can see the 1-bit image OK in PagePlus, FastStone Viewer, and in XnView.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks for the update, but do these other viewers handle images larger than 32000 pixels?

Comment

ZGView and MS Imaging are fine with the image as well, but your 1-bit image didn't work on my latest version of i_view dated 8/29/2009, either. But I've been able to pull in larger tif images that yours. I just viewed a 1-bit, group 4 image at 9360x6621 without any trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by garryd View Post
          Thanks for the update, but do these other viewers handle images larger than 32000 pixels?
          Try them and see. Both XnView and FastStone Viewer are free. Both can do several things that IrfanView cannot, e.g. FastStone can export animated GIF and save large JP2 images.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Irfan has said he uses an older LibTIF that is stricter with some tags. Perhaps that is why IrfanView is not as forgiving as some other viewers.

Even trying to open the file in an older ACDSee, I get a message stating, "The source data stream is corrupt."

So, where/how did you generate this TIF? There obviously is something invalid about it that the successful programs have to clean out of it.

Comment

Display 1.90t5 for ms-dos can display it too without problems.

Comment

To "garryd",

Irfan thinks he has fixed the problem with your tif file. Write to him directly if you would like a test exe.

He's not planning on releasing it util later this year, as a new version.

Comment

Thanks for the tip about writing directly to Irfan, but I'm such a newbie, I don't even know how. Please advise.

Comment

Originally posted by garryd View Post
                    Thanks for the tip about writing directly to Irfan, but I'm such a newbie, I don't even know how. Please advise.
                    See Help, About IrfanView.

Comment

Working...
                    X