Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JPG quality in multipage tif

Hi!
    Is there any way to adjust the save quality when creating a multipage tif with jpg compression?
    For example: I have 2 grayscale jpg images (80% quality), ~575 kb each, and when I create a multipage tif with jpg compression - it has 3.46 MB, obviously not reasonable. So is there a way to adjust the jpg quality, or at least keep the one in the existing jpg files that would be inserted in the multipage tif?

If you open any JPG image and view the image Information, you can compare the memory size and the disk size. When you save it in a TIF file, it is the size in memory that is significant, not the size on disk. You can use ZIP compression in multipage TIF, but as you probably know, ZIP compression is not nearly as efficient as JPG compression.

If file size is crucial, look for another method such as multipage PDF or create a slideshow.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

So you mean there is no way to adjust the jpg compression (or quality) when creating a multipage tif with jpg compression? There should be, because there is in the single-page tif, so I suppose this is just not implemented, rather than not possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Ssovets View Post
        So you mean there is no way to adjust the jpg compression (or quality) when creating a multipage tif with jpg compression? There should be, because there is in the single-page tif, so I suppose this is just not implemented, rather than not possible.
        There is no way to change the compression when saving as single page TIF with JPEG compression either. I just tried saving a PNG as TIFF with JPEG compression — it was much bigger than the same file saved as JPG at maximum quality.

Original PNG • 2.74 MB (2879800 bytes)
        JPG Maximum Quality • 838 KB (858994 bytes)
        TIF JPEG compression • 3.08 MB (3239167 bytes)
        TIF ZIP compression • 5.60 MB (5882260 bytes)

I don't think this is a limitation of Irfan View, or of the TIFF format. I suspect it is the latter.
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 26.09.2007, 02:25 PM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Yes, you are right, there is no way to change the jpg compression even in single-page tif... I don't know why I thought otherwise... maybe it was in some other program, I don't remember now.
          Anyway, the question remains: it is possible? Cause I need a compact multipage able format, and tif is the only one wide-spreaded (except for pdf, of course, but it is a very stupid document format and I don't like using it).

Comment

I already answered your question.

Comment

It means it's a definite "no". Ok, that's it, nothing's perfect

Thank you for your help.

Comment

I did a test by manipulating "Save Quality" entry in the JPEG section of the Irfanview.ini.
                This entry influences the quality of the JPEG stream in TIFFs.

But what you asked for in the beginning of the thread is to copy JPEG images to TIFFs w/o changing the quality. As far as I know this is not possible with Irfanview, because Irfanview decodes first the JPEGs and then encodes them to the TIFF. What you like to do is to just copy a jpeg stream to the TIFF w/o decoding and reencoding. TIFF 6.0 ts 2 specifies this.

Comment

Working...
                X