Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Opening Multiple Images From the Thumbnail View

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me if it is possible to have multiple windows of the viewer open at the same time showing different thumbnail pics enlarged.It would seem an obvious requirement yet i can find no information on it.At the moment when i click on a thumbnail the viewer with that pic pops up.If i then click on another thumbnail the previous pic in the viewer disappears and the current one i clicked on replaces it,
    Peter

Its not that easy, unless you know how.

In Options, Properties, Miscellaneous, select IrfanView as the first External Editor.

In the same place: deselect: "If several thumbnails selected: Send all filenames in one call" (if this is checked you can open multiple images from the thumbnail view, but only one at a time, otherwise a misleading error dialogue about the Unicode plugin will appear).

Then use the Shortcut Shift E to open thumbnails in a new instance of IrfanView.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 02.05.2011, 06:17 PM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi Bhikkhu,
      Many thanks for your reply,i would never have got there without your help.It seems such an obvious facility i can't understand why it's so complicated to do and there seems no instruction easily found in the help files.Still i can do it now,thanks once again,
      Peter

Comment

There is a further Option which must be correctly set that Bhikkhu Pesala forgot to mention. In the Start/Exit tab make sure that Only 1 instance of Irfanview is active has been unchecked, otherwise multiple windows are blocked.

In v4.28 of Irfanview it is not usually necessary to set Irfanview as an External editor. There is a new feature that automatically includes Irfanview itself as an extra external editor and it has its own keyboard shortcut, Ctrl+N. The only slight oddity is that when you open Thumbnails and select an image, the first press of Ctrl+N does not work. You have to press it a second time before it will open the new window displaying the image. After that just a single press is all that is needed to open another window. I do not know if that is a bug or a safety feature.

Comment

And in 2022, it's still working the same way (I'm on version 4.53, I have to admit). Already thought about the external editor, but to put Irfan itself in it, good idea!

Comment

Working...
          X