Faster way to copy/move files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faster way to copy/move files?

I'm currently trying to sort a folder full of images and in IrfanView the process is like follows.

For a new folder:
    1) Press F7
    2) Set a path
    3) Press a number key corresponding to the path.

Subsequent actions:
    1) Press F7
    2) Press the number key

The process is cumbersome and if i need to do it for hundreds of images i'm wasting many keypresses and time. Is it possible to do the subsequent action with just one key or click?

For comparison, with FastPictureViewer or FastRawViewer it's like follows.

For a new folder:
    1) Press shortcut for "Move-To" / "Path for Move-To"
    2) Choose a path and the image is moved automatically

Subsequent actions:
    1) Press shortcut for "Move-To" and the image is moved automatially

That's 50% less clicks/keypresses, and i can move 2 to 3 images per second, as long as the target folder doesn't change. Is this possible with IrfanView?
    Last edited by jjensson; 07.04.2021, 04:25 PM.

Use the Batch Rename feature.

Attached Files
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hmm, i'm not sure. I need to see the image in a large size, make a decision, and then move it with one click. Then the next one, and so on...

I guess it's not possible with IrfanView. In that case, i hope the developer considers an option to streamline this workflow.

Comment

You could use the Thumbnail view (shortcut T) with the thumbnail option to show a decent sized thumbnail, the start a batch job with the selected thumbnails.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

From Thumbnail view it is also possible to use drag'n drop.
          BTW: I like the way IrfanView handles copy/move, because it gives me a lot of folders to chose between with only two keypresses.
          Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
          Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

I'm having similar issues with moving images. The Folder selection dialog box is ok, but I need to simply `select a few files and move them up or down the file tree.´ Will drag and drop work for that? How can one set it, or make it move vs copy? Thx

Comment

Ok, I've figured out how to MOVE files in IrfanView Thumbnails. There's a `+´ character displayed at the cursor when dragging-dropping, and if you hold down `–´ key, then the file will MOVE and not Copy. Where in HELP file is this described? Thx
              Last edited by editor; 11.04.2021, 03:47 PM.

Comment

From the IrfanView help file (Help - Irfanview Help or F1):
                Hint: You can copy/move files/thumbnails to the folders in the folder/directory tree using the mouse. Hold the SHIFT key to move files, as in Windows Explorer.
                Besides: This is standard Windows behaviour.
                Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
                Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Working...
                X