can't save replaced color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't save replaced color

I replaced all the black colors in a jpg image to red, saved the file, opened the file and found that it's the same image before replacing colors. I did the same replacement again but this time saved it to a different file. Again, no change. The replaced colors were not there. Somehow during saving, the image reverted back to the original. How should I save the color-replaced image?

This is version 4.54 32-bit on Windows 10 19041.928.
    Last edited by yky; 23.04.2021, 02:42 PM.

I doubt if 4.54 is any different, but you should upgrade to the latest version: 4.57

I had no problem replacing the dark grey in the Avatar with black, then replacing the black with red.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Avatar.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	91077Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Avatar.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	91078
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      I doubt if 4.54 is any different, but you should upgrade to the latest version: 4.57

I had no problem replacing the dark grey in the Avatar with black, then replacing the black with red.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Red Avatar.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.7 KB ID:	91077Click image for larger version  Name:	Black Avatar.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.4 KB ID:	91078
      Thanks for the reply. I upgraded to 4.57 and tried it again. The same thing happened. Changes are not saved.

Yes. I can do what you did. When I changed the color of a large area and saved the file, the change was saved. The following picture is what I have been working on. I can change the red color, about 99.8% of the area, to black, save the file, and the change is saved. If you enlarge the picture, you'll see that on the border, some pixels have a darker color. When I replaced those darker colors to red, the change couldn't be saved. The only way I have found so far to save the change is to save the file as .png, not .jpg. If I keep the .jpg format, no change is saved.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by yky; 24.04.2021, 03:48 AM.

Comment

The image has artefacts, like all JPG images. You will have to play with the tolerance when swapping colours to change the nearly red pixels.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Do you mean I cannot rely on what I see on screen? On screen, after change, the picture was uniformly red. The darker pixels were gone. However, when I save it, the darker pixels reappeared. If I cannot rely on what I see on screen, how do I tell whether the color of dark pixels have changed?

By the way, the tolerance was initially set to 128. Later, after finding the change was not saved, I changed it to 12. It didn't make a difference. The change was not saved. This was done before I posted the question.

Comment

When you save as JPG artefacts are added. Images like yours should be saved as PNG. They will be lossless and smaller.

Comment

Working...
            X