Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I safely install both 32 bit and 64 bit versions on same computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I safely install both 32 bit and 64 bit versions on same computer?

Hi all,

Is it possible to install both versions, without messing either up? Is naming the folder of the second version something different than the default folder sufficient to do that?

No problem. Each version has its own *.ini file, and installation folder.
    Typically: 64-bit will install in C:\Program Files\IrfanView\
    Typically: 32-bit will install in C:\Program Files (86)\IrfanView\

Make sure that you install the up-to-date plugins for each version in the appropriate folder.

## From the FAQ on IrfanView.com
    64-bit will be faster for some operations due to supporting more RAM.

* Advantages of IrfanView 32-bit over 64-bit version:Runs on a 32-bit and 64-bit Windows
    * Loads all files/images for normal needs (max. RAM size is about 1.3 GB)
    * Needs less disc space
    * All PlugIns will work: not all PlugIns are ported (yet) to 64-bit (like OCR) and some 32-bit PlugIns must be still used in the 64-bit version, some with limitations (see the "Plugins32" folder)
    * Some old 32-bit PlugIns (like RIOT and Adobe 8BF PlugIn) work only in compatibility mode in IrfanView-64
    * Command line options for scanning (/scan etc.) work only in 32-bit (because no 64-bit TWAIN drivers)
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Ok, thank you! This bit also answers a question I had about where to find the ini file you mentioned in the other thread about the thumbnail gallery! I still am not sure how to edit it once I do find it tho - using notepad, or?

Oh! Looks like I might have the 32 bit version installed already (at least it's in the C:\Program Files\ site, rather than the 86 folder), rather than the 64 bit. My computer is 64 bit, but the info you posted here reminded me that I went with the 32 bit because it supposedly supported more plugins. I had totally forgotten that. At least I think I did. I've copied the contents of that folder - just not sure why some are labelled with 64? The folder includes (in addition to other files and folders

i view32.chm
      i view64.exe
      i view64.ini

Anyhow, if it is the 32 bit version, that blows the idea of the problem with extracting all frames being an issue of the 64 bit version with nvidia graphics cards/drivers. So I've no idea why I can't get the extract all frames thing to work, unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
      X