Changes not saved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changes not saved

I have several photos that were taken sideways. I open them in IV and press R or L until they are rightside up. I then press Ctrl+s. I am asked if I want to replace the photo. I click Yes.

When I look in the folder, I see that the file timestamp has changed, but when I open it, the photo is still sideways. I did this several times and with several photos.

This has never happened before, and I have been using IV for 20 years or more.

Can anyone offer a possible explanation or, more importantly, a cure?

Thanks
    Running IV 64 4.52 on Windows 10 with Office 365

This is a democracy (USA) so we have no one to blame but ourselves.

It turns out that the problem has something to do with me adding an oval around the area of interest in the photo. Once I drag the ellipse tool onto the photo and save it, when I reopen it, it is rotated 90 degrees. This has never happened to me before.

Does that information help? I did it with 2-3 photos with the same results. I will try to upload the before and after images. PostImage seems to have changed the way it saves files, so I hope this works.

This is before I added the annotation:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	237
Size:	543.9 KB
ID:	94303

And this is after annotation:

Name:	image.png
Views:	218
Size:	1,003.8 KB
ID:	94304

The actual photo files are in this OneDrive folder: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArBLbKVM2K_HiPUgheoYGNuSvmyWQA

Comment

In JPEG save options, select "Reset EXIF orientation tag"

Name:	save_jpeg.png
Views:	224
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	94308
      My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Originally posted by JendaLinda View Post
        In JPEG save options, select "Reset EXIF orientation tag"
        Thanks. That works if I am saving the image as a new jpeg (s), but I am not given that option if I am saving it back to the original image (Ctrl+s). Is there a way that I can change that setting before saving? I think I see that setting in Info | EXIF Settings, but I don't see any way to change it. And if I rotate the image, that setting does not change, so that seems to be the problem.

Comment

Have you disabled the Save dialog when using Ctrl+S? By default, the Save dialog is displayed always.
          My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Have you disabled the Save dialog when using Ctrl+S? By default, the Save dialog is displayed always.
            Not intentionally. How can I check that and reset it if changed?

Comment

There is a checkbox at the bottom of the Save As.. dialog to show/hide the Save Options dialog.
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan Paint • Irfan View Help • IrfanPaint Help • Riot.dll • More Skins • FastStone Capture • Uploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                There is a checkbox at the bottom of the Save As.. dialog to show/hide the Save Options dialog.
                I found it under Options | File Handling. It was unchecked. Thanks

Comment

I think I understand some of the settings that I didn't before, but this sequence is still puzzling to me.
                  1. I open a photo. It displays right side up.
                  2. I check the Orientation (Info | EXIF info). It is "right top".
                  3. I open the Paint dialog, select the ellipse tool, and draw a circle around something.
                  4. I check the Orientation. It is still Right Top.
                  5. I type Ctrl+s to save the changes.
                  6. I get the Save... dialog.
                  7. I see that Reset EXIF orientation tag is not checked.
                  8. I click Save.
                  9. I am asked if I want to replace the existing file.
                  10. I click Yes.
                  11. I press Esc to close the file.
                  12. I reopen that photo. It displays rotated 90 degrees clockwise.
                  13. I check the Orientation setting. It is still Right Top
                  14. I type "l" to reorient it.
                  Why does the photo open right side up before I add the markup, but rotated afterwards?

Comment

I have 2 more questions:
                    1. When I modify an image and save it, the file date/time is not changed. The Save file with original date/time option is not checked.
                    2. If I op0en a file, rotate it, and close it, I am not asked if I want to save the changes as I am with any other edit.

Comment

By default, IrfanView automatically rotates the picture according to the orientation tag. If "Reset EXIF orientation" is not checked, the tag is not updated, so the picture will be rotated again next time.

Comment

By default, IrfanView automatically rotates the picture according to the orientation tag. If "Reset EXIF orientation" is not checked, the tag is not updated, so the picture will be rotated again next time.
                        That doesn't square with my outline above. When I open the image before modifying it, it opens right side up.

After adding the markup, but with the Orientation unchanged, it opens rotated.

In both cases the orientation setting is "Right Top", but the display is not the same.

Comment

Have you tried to reset the orientation tag? The rotation description is little misleading, Top Right actually means rotate the picture 90 deg clockwise.

Comment

Have you tried to reset the orientation tag? The rotation description is little misleading, Top Right actually means rotate the picture 90 deg clockwise.
                            Yes, I did reset the orientation tag. That solved that problem. But that is not the point I am trying to make now. I do not understand why IV would show the same image with the same Orientation setting one way without the markup and a different way with it.

Comment

When you first open the image, IrfanView automatically rotates it. You do the edits and save the image without resetting the tag, so the tag remains the same. The orientation tag simply tells the program to rotate the image, so next time the already rotated image is rotated once more.

The orientation tag was developed to simplify digital cameras, so the camera can always save the image data in the native position of the sensor, usually horizontal. The tag indicates that the photo should be rotated in software to be displayed correctly.
                              Last edited by JendaLinda; 30.03.2022, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X