Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irfanview still plays Vids via LNK-Files

Hello Internet-People.

I disabled Video-Playing by removing the video-extensions in the settings. So, while browsing through my files within a folder, Irfan ignores all videos. Great!

Problem is this: Sometimes I use Links (LNK) for pictures and videos. I want Irfan to open the Picture-LNKs, so I added LNK in the settings. So while browsing my files within a folder, Irfan opens all picture-LNKs. Great! But of course it opens ALL the LNKs, which are sometimes videos and so Irfan still opens videos unwanted.

Any solution to that? I want Irfan to NEVER open a video. I would go as far, as crippling it in some config files, so if anyone knows a solution to that, I'd be grateful. Allthough... I consider the possibility that Irfanview cannot do that...

If you open a file via a link (.LNK), the file assosiations in IrfanView do not apply. IV then simply opens the file if it can.
    Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.67/64
    Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

That is what I wrote

Still, if someone knows a way to circumvent this, I'd love to hear that.
      Last edited by Disp; 05.07.2022, 12:34 AM.

Comment

LNK is just a regular file. When you added LNK in the settings, IrfanView will always open LNK files. It has no idea if it is a picture or video before it reaches the link destination. The file type filter only sees the LNK file. After that, the filter doesn't apply.

A better way to link files would be using symbolic links. These are handled by the file system and they can carry the opriginal file type, so the symbolic link appears like the original file to the application. Unfortunately Windows doesn't seem to provide an user friendly way to create symbolic links, although it supports this feature since Windows XP. You may use command ine tool mklink to create them or there are 3rd party programs available too.
        My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

This is not really a good way for me to handle things, but thanks for the advice. I hat hoped to hear how to go into some config-file and to turn off Irfans ability to play videos at all. But I guess that is out of the question..

Comment

Settings, Extensions, Load Custom File Types. Remove all video formats from the list.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

In the Video/Sound settings, selectr the external player (iv_player plugin) and disable the plugin in Help - Installed plugins. That should disable all multimedia playback. IrfanView may display error messages though.
              My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Working...
              X