Is there a way to change the default "Save As" to JPG rather than PDF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to change the default "Save As" to JPG rather than PDF

So if I bring up an image file, if I use "Save" it defaults to JPG but if I use "Save As" the default is PDF. This is particularly annoying because I often do a screenshot then click on an image on the desktop (because it's always easy to find one), then paste the screenshot image, then save it--whether I use "Save" or "Save As" it defaults to PDF and I have to choose "JPG" even though its an image. If I simply open a JPG then it defaults to JPG but only for the "Save" but not for "Save As", which defaults to PDF.

In summary, I'd like the "Save As" to default to JPG and the "Save" to default to JPG for new images (i.e., screenshots).

Save As defaults to whichever format you last used. For most screenshots (especially text pages), PNG images are sharper and smaller than a high quality JPG. Use JPG for photos or pages with mostly images.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      Save As defaults to whichever format you last used. For most screenshots (especially text pages), PNG images are sharper and smaller than a high quality JPG. Use JPG for photos or pages with mostly images.
      But I rarely ever save anything as PDF with Irfanview. I have Adobe Pro and that's associated with opening PDF files. So I don't know how it would ever default to PDF.

Comment

Similar problems here after upgrading to 4.60. The default on mine is PNG, saving as JPG does not change it.

See this thread about the disappearing Exif dialog.
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 01.09.2022, 04:05 PM.

Comment

If your Save As file format is not being updated, check to see that the *.ini file is in a directory that has write permissions.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
          X