No announcement yet.

PNG from WEBP has main window color instead of transparency in photoshop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved PNG from WEBP has main window color instead of transparency in photoshop

I have been dealing with this problem for a long time by selecting the background and deleting it in photoshop but today i want to fix this problem once and for all to get the most authentic transparency
    Especially since a picture with partial transparency will get ruined if this keeps on happening

As you can see here the original WEBP image is transparent and i set the main window color to blue

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_21.jpg
Views:	984
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	95815

These are the settings i used to save it as PNG
    I then picked the blue background as the transparency color

Name:	Screenshot_20.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	95816
    In explorer the image clearly has transparent background

Name:	Screenshot_22.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	95817
    But when opened in photoshop the main window color is there instead of transparency

Name:	Screenshot_23.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	95818
    Is there any solution for this or this is gonna be a problem i have to live with ?
    I believe i cant handle it anymore if i encounter this problem with a picture with partial transparency
    Thanks in advance

Open a 32-bit transparent image in IrfanView and look at the Image Information dialog. One can change the background colour in Settings, Viewing, from blue to white (or whatever) but IrfanView does not support 32-bit images.

Name:	Image Properties.png
Views:	600
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	95821
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I don't use Photoshop so I can't reproduce the problem. IrfanView has limited support for transparency. It uses single color transparency instead of alpha channel. It just marks the background color as transparent. Most programs will understand it.

As you are using Photoshop already, I would recommend to convert webp to png using Photoshop as well. That will deliver reliable results.
      My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Originally posted by JendaLinda View Post
        I don't use Photoshop so I can't reproduce the problem. IrfanView has limited support for transparency. It uses single color transparency instead of alpha channel. It just marks the background color as transparent. Most programs will understand it.

As you are using Photoshop already, I would recommend to convert webp to png using Photoshop as well. That will deliver reliable results.
        I am unaware that photoshop has a new version that supports webp
        Thanks for the heads up

Comment

There is WebPShop plugin available for older versions of Photoshop.
          My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Originally posted by JendaLinda View Post
            There is WebPShop plugin available for older versions of Photoshop.
            Just tried it
            Works like a charm
            Thanks again for the heads up

Comment

Working...
            X