Scanning Resolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scanning Resolution

Is there a setting that I'm missing? I'd like to be able to set a default scanning resolution other than 100 DPI. I have hundreds of photos that I'm in the process of scanning at 600 DPI, and it would certainly be quicker not to have to reset the scan resolution for each scan.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 05.11.2022, 07:31 PM. Reason: Fixed typos

I suspect that you have to look at your scanner driver to change the default scanning resolution. Nothing to do with IrfanView.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

My scanner driver and software are defaulted at 600 DPI.

Comment

Does the number of pixels in the scanned image match the 600 dpi setting? It is the pixel count that matters, not the image DPI.
        What image format are you saving the scans in?
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Yes, the image matches the 600 dpi settings. The pixel count when scanning is controlled by the dpi setting. That's not the issue. I'd like the DPI (resolution) setting in IV to default to 600, not 100. I save everything as a .png, That's also not the issue, the format is moot until I save.

Comment

This is what I see when I look at scan resolution settings in Advanced Settings.. I would like to change the 100 to 600 permanently.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-11-05 232728.png
Views:	278
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	96206

Comment

The interface looks quite simplified. I think it is provided by Windows. Try to get to the "advanced" dialog that comes with the scanner. Usually you get 2 options as an acquisition source: TWAIN and WIA. And in Twain you have more precision controls.

Comment

I do not understand. Your scanner driver is clearly set to 100 DPI, so a 6" x 4" photo print should scan to 600 x 400 pixels, but you're telling us that you would get 3,600 x 2,400 pixels when scanning something of that size. If you set the advanced options to 600 DPI, does the driver forget its settings?
                Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 08.11.2022, 08:18 PM. Reason: Fixed error

Comment

Yes, I would get 3600 x 2400 when I change the setting to 600 DPI, which is what I want. But I have to change it from 100 DPI to 600 DPI every time I scan. I want to make that setting default to 600 DPI, so I won't have to change it every time. The driver doesn't forget its settings, IV does. Every possible setting outside IV currently defaults to 600 DPI.
                  Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 08.11.2022, 08:19 PM.

Comment

It would appear that the setting is being generated somewhere between the driver and IV. It appears there is no solution. Thanks for your time.

Comment

I restored your topic. Others may have a solution, or may be able to confirm the issue with other scanners.

Comment

If I scan as Colour Photo with my WIA driver, then I also get 100 dpi, but if I use the Custom Settings of 600 dpi, that is what I get.

Name:	Custom Scan Settings 600 dpi.png
Views:	218
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	96233

Name:	600 dpi scan.png
Views:	229
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	96232

Comment

Working...
                        X