Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change selection size after pasting

Hi.

I'm editing scores for my band. I used to copy parts into a score and then changed the size of the selection to copy&paste the new selection. This doesn't work anymore since 4.62, I updated last week. Now I can't change the selection size after pasting, it changes the pasted content.

Is there a way to edit the selection without changing it's content? Or do I have to draw a completely new selection rectangle?

Thorsten
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 27.03.2023, 01:07 PM. Reason: Fixed typo

Create selection, copy, move selection by right click and drag, resize without changing aspect ratio by ctrl-click handle at corner of selection, paste.

Comment

Yes, that's how I do it. But how can I change the selection size after pasting? This worked before 4.62.

But thanks for replying ?

Comment

After pasting into the selection, resize the selection by dragging the sides or corners; move it with the RMB or cursor keys. You can also resize the selection with Ctrl+Cursor keys:
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

People are missing the point regarding the problem that the OP is having.

Luigi wants to paste into a selection, then resize/move the selection rectangle without affecting the pasted content so that he can either paste again or copy the new selected area.

Because 4.62 has introduced behaviour which allows the resizing or moving of pasted content in a selection it is no longer possible do the above.

I have also encountered the same problem.

I used to be able to:

1. Select a region of an image.
          2. Copy that region.
          3. Move the selection to another position.
          4. Paste the copied region (into the selection)

Then:
          5. Move the selection to another position.
          6. Paste the copied region again (into the selection)

I could repeat steps 5 and 6 as many times as I wished. It is important to me that the selection remains the same size when I move it.

However, in 4.62 at step 3 (and 5) the pasted pixels are moved, instead of the selection.

Solution needed:

Provide a way to indicate to Irfanview that you don't want to resize or move the pasted pixels when you resize/move the selection. Maybe this could be done with a modifier key, or maybe have a way of indicating of 'finalizing' the paste so that the pixels are no longer moved.

The new behaviour in 4.62 is very useful sometimes - but at other times it is useful to have the pre-4.62 behaviour.

UPDATE: I see that this is also being requested here:
          In the previous version (4.59) using the copy/paste feature was very simple, fast and correct. It was wonderful and productive. Kudos to the developer. In the new version (4.60/4.62) the way of working with the copy/paste feature is hampering my productivity. And a lot. I kindly ask you to completely restore this resource,

Last edited by IfThenElse; 27.03.2023, 08:18 AM.

Comment

I suggested a plugin to bring this feature back.
            but it looks like it won't be done

Comment

Thanks IfThenElse

Due to my poor English I wasn't able to describe my problem so that people could understand, but that's exactly what I meant. Resizing the selection recangle without changing it's content.

IMHO the 'new function' is not necessary. IV was able to paste the clipboard into any selection rectangle. The only difference is that before 4.62 you weren't able to see the new content while resizing the selection.

But OK, I'll get used to the new function or simply use an older version from a directory.

Thanks all!
              Thorsten
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by IfThenElse View Post
                People are missing the point regarding the problem that the OP is having.
                Not at all. However, there are pros as well as cons to the new method. If anyone spends a little time with the new method they will find an adjustment to their workflow that solves the problem. Try Shift+C to save a selection, for example.

The software keeps evolving. The developer does not introduce changes just to annoy users. If users want to stay with old versions they can, but they will miss out on many improvements. One day, Irfan Skiljan will retire, or pass on to the next existence, and new versions will no longer be provided.

To move the pasted selection without resizing it, use RMB or the cursor keys. To resize it, drag the sides or corners, or use Ctrl + cursor keys.

If, after using the new version for a few months, you can think of a way to improve it, suggest an improvement. Reverting improvements is rarely the way to go in software development — though it does sometimes happen.

How the feature request forum works.
                Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 27.03.2023, 01:16 PM.
                Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

we can the best of both worlds. I don't want to remove the functionality. but the previous functionality which was very practical, comfortable and powerful. few imaging software gave you fast production power. speed that now has no more. a plugin gave the both functions at same time

I'll try your suggestion. I didn't think it was possible to save selections.
                  Last edited by Joe Zhan; 27.03.2023, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Well, the feature was there and it was simple. I was really confused when I first noticed that when I changed the size of a selection (where I pasted something the step before) I thought it was a bug, a hanging key on my keyboard. I tried it on a 2nd PC and realized, the behaviour had changed. "It's not a bug, it's a feature" ;-)

What could help is to use a key (Shift, Alt) while changing the selection size to get the old behaviour back.

I'm far from telling Irfan how IrfanView should be. I just wonder if there was demand to see the content of the selection rectangle change according to the size.

The only thing I have to do in the future is draw my origin selection again. I can live with that.

One thing that is weird, though....when I pasted something, change the size of the selection and the pasted are changes as well, when I then press CTRL-Z for undo, the paste is undone and not the size change. Does that make sense? I wish it would only undo the size change and not the paste.
                    Last edited by Luigi; 27.03.2023, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Look at this:.
                      a post where I approach the subject from the point of view of user and software developer.

The selection tool is on a rough patch (irfanview-forum.de)

Comment

Thank you for feedback,
                        I´m working following your explain

Comment

Originally posted by Claraa12
                          In most software applications, you can adjust the size of a selection after pasting by using the selection tools or by using the Transform or Scale tool. Here are the general steps to do this:
                          1. Select the pasted object or image using the selection tool.
                          2. Look for the Transform or Scale tool in the software, usually found under the Edit or Object menu.
                          3. Use the Transform or Scale tool to resize the object or image. This can usually be done by dragging the handles on the corners or sides of the selection, or by entering specific measurements in the software's tool options or dialog box.
                          4. Once you have adjusted the size of the selection, you can move it to the desired location using the Move tool.
                          Note that the exact steps may vary depending on the software application you are using.
                          Your answer has nothing to do with Irfanview and you have hidden a link to a video editing application under a fullstop/period character in your post.

Looks a lot like a spam post.

//Edit: Spam & link removed. Thank you for pointing it out.
                          Last edited by JendaLinda; 30.03.2023, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Hi again.

Today I wrote an email to Irfan to beg him to bring back the old function of resizing and moving the selection rectangle.
                            To my big shame this was realized with version 4.65
                            • "Paste into Selection": Second paste (CTRL+V) will also apply the image
                            • New Hotkey after "Paste into selection":
                              SHIFT + Click within selection: Apply pasted image and keep selection
                            So simply pres CTRL+V again or left-click into the selection while holding the SHIFT-key.

Huge THANK YOU to Irfan!

Thorsten
                            ?

Comment

Working...
                            X