Can´t see photos with '$' sign in path

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can´t see photos with '$' sign in path

Hello, i have a problem since days ago with irfanview.

im not able to attach or see photos which path has a $ on it. it worked for years until one week ago, didnt touch anything before crash.

its installed on a server with the 4.37 version, if i install newer version does not work too.

i also tried to check the unicode plugin, no luck. what should i do? $ sign must be there, what can i do in irfanview even if its unicode plugin checked-in?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	189
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	97834?

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	2 Size:	1.2 KB ID:	97831

thanks!!?
    ?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by turucutucu; 17.04.2023, 10:13 AM.

No such problem on the latest version. Always upgrade to the latest version to ensure that you have the latest bug fixes. There is no "Languages" category in Settings. The error message is apparently from an old version.

I found no unicode plugign, and it is not listed in Help > Installed Plugins.

i_changes.txt says this:

Version 4.50 (Release date: 2017-10-10)
    - IrfanView and many PlugIns ported to Unicode!?

Make sure that you install the correct plugins - 32-bit or 64-bit as appropriate - for each version of IrfanView.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 17.04.2023, 10:21 AM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      No such problem on the latest version. Always upgrade to the latest version to ensure that you have the latest bug fixes.
      latest version work on 2008R2?

Comment

Originally posted by turucutucu View Post

latest version work on 2008R2?
        I would be surprised if it worked on such an old Operating System, but Irfan Skiljan tries to maintain backward compatibility.
        • Supports Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10 and 11
        ?
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

The $ sign has a special meaning in IrfanView's commands, try to use double $$ instead.
          Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 17.04.2023, 10:54 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
          My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
            I would be surprised if it worked on such an old Operating System, but Irfan Skiljan tries to maintain backward compatibility.
            • Supports Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10 and 11
            ?
            still same problem. what should i do?

Comment

still same problem. what should i do?
              Contact Irfan Skiljan (IrfanView Help, About) and see what he says. Since I don't use your OS, I cannot test it properly.

Comment

Originally posted by JendaLinda View Post
                The $ sign has a special meaning in IrfanView's commands, try to use double $$ instead.
                that $ is cause shared disk on network

Comment

I can use $ sign in folder names without problems. Are you sure the problem is not caused by the network share?
                  My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

I can use $ sign in folder names without problems. Are you sure the problem is not caused by the network share?
                    network is doing well.
                    it has worked for at least 13 years without problem. i have not problems when i attach other images, only images with $ in its path
                    if i create a folder with a $ on its name, works well.
                    but when its a shared disk, crashes.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	8 Size:	9.2 KB ID:	97834??

Comment

Windows 2008 R2 is not an old operating system. It is Seven 64-bit. I can load files from an administrative share fine in version 4.53 and 4.35. Can they be loaded in other programs directly? What if you use the map network drive feature to create a proxy "disk"? The dialog mentioning an Unicode plugin is from an old version. You don't need to install an Unicode-Plugin anymore.

It now says, when supplied an invalid file:

---------------------------
                      IrfanView
                      \\Studijaex\M$\Images\Devices\D-Link_KVM-4K.CMYK.tif.rar.jpg : Can't read file header !

Unknown file format, empty/damaged file or file not found !
                      OK

?

Comment

if i create a folder with a $ on its name, works well.
                        but when its a shared disk, crashes.
                        So the problem is not the path. It looks like IrfanView cannot access the network drive. Probably due to insufficient file permissions.

Comment

So the problem is not the path. It looks like IrfanView cannot access the network drive. Probably due to insufficient file permissions.

I've updated to 4.62 32 bit version, and I can see photos, but still same problem when the path like this:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	171
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	97849?
                          ?

Comment

As j7n? suggested, have you tried to open the files in different programs? Can you copy the files from the netwrok drive? Have you tried to map the network drive, assign a drive letter to the network drive?

Comment

As j7n? suggested, have you tried to open the files in different programs? Can you copy the files from the netwrok drive? Have you tried to map the network drive, assign a drive letter to the network drive?
                              sharing disk works, but makes sense, because $ sign disappears....
                              i need solution for \\client\C$ work...
                              Last edited by turucutucu; 18.04.2023, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X