OCR plugin and languages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OCR plugin and languages

Years ago I used the OCR plugin and found a way to download and use the Portuguese language. I need to use this language now but can't find how to download it. If I click on the Download other languages button I get this message:

Click image for larger version  Name:	OCR_mess.png Views:	0 Size:	17.5 KB ID:	97981

Can you help me? TIA.
    Last edited by Paultx; 15.06.2023, 01:44 PM.
    Desktop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i7 • 12 GB RAM
    Laptop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i5 • 6 GB RAM
    IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

I see the same issue. This plugin was first added to IrfanView in June 2009, and is only for 32-bit. It is apparently way out of date.
    Try publishing to PDF and using an OCR conversion feature in your PDF viewer. I use PDF-XChange Editor, but that does not support Portuguese. Maybe Acrobat Reader does?

Attached Files
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I suggest you to follow monk's advice, because even if you download additional language from this page

Downloads o fDictionaries for the cracter recognition.

, which in your case would be pt.zip, and then extract it to

C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\Plugins\ocr_kadmos

(in case you use default install location), Portugal will appear in list of classifiers, but only selectable Language for recognition will be English UK and recognition will look really crappy.

At least it is on my Windows 10 x64.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	pt_is_on.png
Views:	380
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	97986
      Click image for larger version

Name:	crappy_ocr.png
Views:	391
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	97988
      Attached Files

Comment

I have had pretty good luck with Tesseract:

Tesseract Open Source OCR Engine (main repository) - UB-Mannheim/tesseract

Tesseract is a command line program but could be called in IrfanView from a batch file.

See similar feature:

Last edited by IrfanUserGuyxyx; 15.06.2023, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X