No announcement yet.

Win11 bug: Cannot change association of jpg files to Irfanview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amdkt7's answer worked for me. I just did the reset, as repair sounded like a subset of reset.
    The problem:
    • On the "How do you want to open this file?" There is no "Always use this app..." checkbox for jpg, jpeg, bmp, or png files (among others).
    • In the Default apps settings, the above file types are not listed in the Irfanview 64-bit settings.
    • At the top of the Default Apps page, the above file types are not findable in the "Set a default for a file type or link type" and entering in the search box.
    • I'm reluctant to uninstall MS Photos using Powershell because it cannot be uninstalled from the Apps and Features options, thus some parts of Windows may rely on it, even if I never use it on purpose.
    After doing this (but skipping repair)
    Originally posted by amdkt7 View Post
    I think I fixed it. I went to
    "Apps and Features",
    found Microsoft Photos,
    clicked on the hamburger menu on the far right,
    chose "advanced options" went to the
    Reset section and performed both the Repair and the Reset functions.
    After that I was then able to associate jpg and other file types to Irfanview. Now clicking a jpg file opens with Irfanview.
    I was able to set defaults in the Default Apps - Irfanview settings. The other ways to set default apps are now available, too (all three bullet points above are fixed).

Comment

I too have this issue with Win 11. It does NOT present key filetypes to Irfanview to handle. I've been on Windows chat with support and I get the distinct impression they don't know anything about 11. or they are not allowed to understand the problem..

My old Win 7 system died, and tje new desktop came with win 11. I avoided Win 10 as I saw the hell users were going through. And now 11 introduced Microsoft's way of preventing alternate apps from replacing MS apps.... LOCK THEM OUT OF INSTALLING & USING THEM.
      Aren't there laws regarding "Restraint of Trade"?

1) Can't change to PREFERRED browser.. EDGE is LOCKED IN
      2) spent two days trying to get Open Office to work. Hsd to UNINSTALL MS Office to install OO.
      3) There is no way to chose .JPG, .PNG, GIF etc etc ..to be ALWAYS be handled by Irfanview, without having to click on Irfanview via open with.

Comment

What registry entries control which apps handle what filetypes, Assoc & Ftype no longer control this.

Comment

Don't use registry for setting file associations in Windows 11. The system may break. Solutions to unlock the "Open with" dialog were already presented in this thread.
          My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Found a way to get IRFANVIEW working on Windows 11. also should work on Win10. Google has the answers, it was just putting them together

Both Windows 10 & 11 have Microsoft Photo Viewer pre-installed, and it has "locked up".JPG, GIF, etc, the typical filetypes you want Irfanview to handle.
            The MS Photo Viewer cannot easily be uninstalled. I found conflicting methods for Win 11 (I. E. Win 10 methods which didn't match what I saw on Win11)..

The removal trick is to first bring up PowerShell, then in PS, enter get-appxpackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage & hit enter
            That should remove Photo Viewer and free up the image & video filetypes. Next you need to set your default program (irfanview 32-bit or 64-bit) and reconnect
            the filetypes you want it to handle.

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamBoyer View Post
              Amdkt7's answer worked for me. I just did the reset, as repair sounded like a subset of reset.
              The problem:
              • On the "How do you want to open this file?" There is no "Always use this app..." checkbox for jpg, jpeg, bmp, or png files (among others).
              • In the Default apps settings, the above file types are not listed in the Irfanview 64-bit settings.
              • At the top of the Default Apps page, the above file types are not findable in the "Set a default for a file type or link type" and entering in the search box.
              • I'm reluctant to uninstall MS Photos using Powershell because it cannot be uninstalled from the Apps and Features options, thus some parts of Windows may rely on it, even if I never use it on purpose.
              After doing this (but skipping repair)

I was able to set defaults in the Default Apps - Irfanview settings. The other ways to set default apps are now available, too (all three bullet points above are fixed).
              Thank you WilliamBoyer and amdkt7 for this, which finally resolved the issue for me too!
              Davy

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                It is clearly not a bug in IrfanView as Windows 11 is not officially supported yet. See the download page:
                • Supports Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10
                Windows 11 users will have to wait until Irfan Skiljan releases a version tested on Windows 11. He may not even have a copy of it yet.
                When version 4.59 comes out, if it officially supports Windows 11, then we can look again at this issue.
                Issue is still reproducible on 459.

Supports Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10 and 11
                Is it a bug now?

Comment

Originally posted by DownSet View Post

Issue is still reproducible on 459.

Is it a bug now?
                  I would say, not really. The problem is caused by saving file associations in registry. In Windows 10 and later, the user is not supposed to do that. In Windows 10, it somehow works, but Windows 11 will break. Instead, the user should manually set file associations in Default Apps settings or using File Explorer.
                  My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Originally posted by DownSet View Post
                    Is it a bug now?
                    Yes, but not a bug in IrfanView, but a bug in Windows. Irfan Skiljan cannot fix bugs in Windows.

Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Your response is inappropriate. Irfan Skiljan has done what he can. See the Extensions settings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	File Associations.png
Views:	2007
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	93733

If you're not satisfied with the free help you receive here, send a "bug" report to Irfan Skiljan, and tell us what he says.
                      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by JendaLinda View Post
                        Unfortunately it's difficult to test IrfanView in Windows 11, because many computers are not supported by Windows 11. Also Windows 11 is pretty recent and there may be bugs in the operating system itself.
                        It seems Windows 11 requires a special chip in the PC.

Windows 11 systems will have chip-level security via a specialized security chip called Trusted Platform Module (TPM). This means they can add all kinds of back doors to your PC. https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...odule.3710248/

Comment

Also Irfanview v4.60 says it supports Windows 7, 8, 10 and 11. It's on the About page.
                          But I'm unable to upload a local image file to show you the About page. I get an error in Brave.
                          Last edited by bacca400; 21.04.2022, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Hi,
                            I have the same problem. I found this (in french) : https://answers.microsoft.com/fr-fr/...9-2fb5b21c8846 . So I "went to "Apps and Features", found Microsoft Photos, clicked on the hamburger menu on the far right, chose "advanced options" went to the Reset section and performed both the Repair and the Reset functions. After that I was then able to associate jpg and other file types to Irfanview."

Have a nice day !

Comment

I just installed Win 11 and updated IV to 4.60 64 bit and jpg, bmp,png, gif plus others were not selectable via Apps/IrfanView as they were assigned to Photos. I spent over an hour online with Microsoft Tech Support to no avail. But, I did find via some searches a solution. Check this link for the solution using FileTypesMan program.
                              After installing third-party software on your Windows 11 computer, the ability to associate file types such as JPG, JPE, JPEG, PNG, MPG, MPEG, and other file types may be hampered. Here are the issues…

Comment

Originally posted by amdkt7 View Post
                                I think I fixed it. I went to "Apps and Features", found Microsoft Photos, clicked on the hamburger menu on the far right, chose "advanced options" went to the Reset section and performed both the Repair and the Reset functions. After that I was then able to associate jpg and other file types to Irfanview. Now clicking a jpg file opens with Irfanview.
                                This works!
                                Thanks AMD!

Just need to add to your post -
                                After completing the Repair and Reset functions go back and right click on any .jpeg file - "Open with" you will get the popup window option option to "Choose another App and with cthe heck box - "Always use this option to open .jpeg files".
                                click on the checkbox and it will get set to Irfanview to open in Irfanview henceforth.

Screenshot from my Windows 11 PC:

Comment

Working...
                                X