Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone just made the interesting observation that if you cut and paste a selection within a low colour image, the number of colours always increases to 16.7 million. Can IrfanPaint do anything to work around that with its selection tool? One could use the Clone Tool instead, but cut and paste is sometimes quicker.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Automatic conversion by IrfanView

Agree. Even a 1 bit picture (b/w) transforms to an 8 bit picture after pasting an 8 bits scrap. With of without using IrfanPaint. I always took this for granted and converted the picture afterwards. In my opinion this behaviour is the logical result of such a past action. When convering a 24 bits color picture to grayscale, it gets the logical 8 bits. To enlarge it to 24 bits is possible in IrfanView. Photoshop is the only program I know within one can remove the colors without automaticly reducing the bit size.

Comment

I agree, that with some modulations it's quite unpredictable if a bitmap stays in the same resolution or not.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I don't take the change for granted, it doesn't happen in other programs. MSPaint set my expectations in many ways. It is very underrated. It is also hell with an antique junk computer with a dying monitor - LOL - I have fond memories.

You can remove color in IrfanView without changing bit size, by reducing the saturation in the color adjust dialog.

The clone tool does not alter the color depth, so it would serve, but a selection can be more accurate. Must be a way to do it....

I had a nice dream about layers in IV. I'm always dreaming computer stuff

Everybody forgets PaintStar
          (not me)
          Last edited by matera; 09.09.2008, 03:12 AM.
          Its: Belongs to "It"
          It's: Shortened form of "It is"
          ---------------------
          Lose: Fail to keep
          Loose: Not tight

---------------------
          Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

I copied the whole irfanview folder with all plugins and the german irfanpaint language file (did not installed it)

Irfanpaint complains about not found language file?

Do you check for the language file folder by a registry key?

Comment

IrfanPaint do not use the registry, if you set IrfanView to use its German language file IrfanPaint will use its German language file (if available).
              IrfanPaint developer
              The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
              IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

My mistake.

The version in the language file did not fit. After correcting it everythings works as expected.

Comment

Hallo.

At first, thank you for this plugin

At second, please, tell me, what I'm doing wrong:

I open small picture (2 colours) and then I open irfanPaint - I need change color. If I click on Color panel, I get panel with only few colours whith I cannot change - but I need other color (for example red).

But, if I open another picture, complexly and with more colours, I can use "standard" color panel and I can choose every colour what I need.

Its same with stable or develop version.

Please, explain me that "hidden" puprose of that "light" color panel.

Thank you, MartinezZ

PS: Excuse my English, I'm better in Czech

Comment

If you are working on an paletted images the "light" panel is shown, and it shows all the colors available in the current image; if you are working on a 24bpp image, the normal color selection dialog is shown, since every color is available in 24bpp images. If you opened a paletted image but you want to use all the colors just increase the color depth (Image->Increase color depth...->select "16.7 million colors (24 BPP)"->OK).
                    IrfanPaint developer

Comment

Ehm, I'm feel like... little stupid now Its logical. Thank you!

Comment

It can be hard to know at a glance what the color depth is.
                        Its: Belongs to "It"
                        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                        ---------------------
                        Lose: Fail to keep
                        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Originally posted by MartinezZ View Post
                          Ehm, I'm feel like... little stupid now Its logical. Thank you!
                          No problem, it's actually one of the more asked questions; if and when I'll write the FAQs this will be the first .
                          IrfanPaint developer

Comment

Look into the menu Image»Palette to see the palette which is ‘build in’ into your image file. That is the color range the viewer (and the plugin) can work on.

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
                              It can be hard to know at a glance what the color depth is.
                              Look at the Status Line.
                              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Yes, thank you

Comment

Working...
                                X