This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by impdf View Post
    - The inch/mm values are not quite precise (at least not on my computers). I know the display drivers are not delivering accurate values (I expect you are using HORZSIZE). So it would be good to offer a possibility to calibrate the values (i.e. by entering a DPI or DPM value for the display). For sure in the moment you can add new units and calculate the right values, but ;-)
    I use the DPIs provided by IrfanView for the image. If they are not correct you can always correct them in the normal way (press I and set the new values).
    - To get the measuring results on the IP toolbar and not in a modal dialog would be fine
    I don't know where to put them on the toolbar... maybe I could use a modeless dialog.
    - A mode which respects the dpi of the bitmap plus the current zoom...
    What do you mean?
    IrfanPaint developer
    The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
    IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

It already "respects" the dpi, as far as I can see. Very nice, and very handy.
      Its: Belongs to "It"
      It's: Shortened form of "It is"
      ---------------------
      Lose: Fail to keep
      Loose: Not tight

---------------------
      Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

2 Mitaly
        A bit confused about your DL links, because it's still about IV 4.11 and 4.12, while it's 4.20 in the meantime.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by MItaly View Post
          I use the DPIs provided by IrfanView
          You are right, I guess I was misleaded because the image dpi were near to the screen dpis.

All fine.

Comment

What do you mean?
            My guess is that it means to measure screen pixels rather than image pixels.

What does "Annula" mean? Is that Italian for "Cancel"? See the dialogue when adding a new unit.

I don't know what I would use the measuring tool for, but I wonder if we need any decimal places if we're measuring pixels?
            Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 27.07.2008, 07:59 AM.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
              I don't know what I would use the measuring tool for
              If you are looking to a map or a construction plan then this is a nice feature. OK the dpi values of the image are not really of interest in this case.

If I could do something like:

Select measure tool.

Left click to define a starting point, dragging the mouse to end end point, shift release mouse. A form pops up showing me the just measured pixels and an input field where I can enter a value and a unit name which will be connected to this amount of pixels. (Like 78px is 8.34harry).

From now on a tracking tooltip shows the distance calculated from the values above during measurement or even better during line drawing operations too.

Comment

Before implementing this, you should look at FastStone Capture. That has an onscreen measuring ruler, which can be either horizontal or vertical. To measure from point to point (diagonally), a line is drawn, with the measurement in pixels shown as a dynamically changing tooltip at the end of the line. A Zoom window lets the user position the start and end point of the measurement line precisely.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 27.07.2008, 02:06 PM.
                Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Before implementing this, you should look at FastStone Capture.
                  Yeah, looks nice. Especially if the tooltip could show also different units as I proposed. Zoom is for the pixel guys ;-) I would not need it. Maybe the diagonal measurement gives also a reason for rational pixels.

Because we are talking about measurement, once I implemented an on screen ruler (more to test windows feature like transparency and look through). If someone likes it we can put it on the web.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
                    2 Mitaly
                    A bit confused about your DL links, because it's still about IV 4.11 and 4.12, while it's 4.20 in the meantime.
                    I will correct it ASAP.
                    What does "Annula" mean? Is that Italian for "Cancel"?
                    Yes, it is. I forgot to change it to Cancel.
                    Originally posted by impdf View Post
                    If you are looking to a map or a construction plan then this is a nice feature. OK the dpi values of the image are not really of interest in this case.

If I could do something like:

Select measure tool.

Left click to define a starting point, dragging the mouse to end end point, shift release mouse. A form pops up showing me the just measured pixels and an input field where I can enter a value and a unit name which will be connected to this amount of pixels. (Like 78px is 8.34harry).
                    You can actually do something similar. Do a normal measurement, select the base unit for the new unit and click "Create new unit".
                    From now on a tracking tooltip shows the distance calculated from the values above during measurement or even better during line drawing operations too.
                    Good suggestion.
                    Before implementing this, you should look at FastStone Capture. That has an onscreen measuring ruler, which can be either horizontal or vertical. To measure from point to point (diagonally), a line is drawn, with the measurement in pixels shown as a dynamically changing tooltip at the end of the line. A Zoom window lets the user position the start and end point of the measurement line precisely.
                    It seems to me a bit too complicated, but I can try to make something like that.
                    IrfanPaint developer

Comment

Ruler in IrfanPaint

You mean something like this? (see attachment)
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
                        You mean something like this? (see attachment)
                        No transparency, and a little bit limited in resizing and rotating.

Anyway, no external tool can beat an embedded solution in most cases.

Comment

Resize Selection from the Centre

This post in Feature Requests asks to retain the centre of a selection as well as its aspect ratio. I wonder if IrfanPaint's selection tool can do this as the code for the rectangle already retains the centre with control.

To be consistent with its other tools, IrfanPaint would have to retain the aspect ratio of the selection with Shift, and maintain the centre with Control.

Drawing a new selection with Shift would have to make a square selection, while resizing an existing selection with Shift would have to retain its aspect ratio.

Comment

The so-called "selection tool" has no control on what IrfanView does, so this feature request is definitely for Irfan.
                            BTW, I'm working to add a sidebar to IrfanView to contain a zoom of the zone under the cursor and tool-specific controls (e.g. the settings for the arrow line when this tool is selected, the current measure when the user is dragging with the measurement tool); see attachment.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by MItaly; 09.08.2008, 11:30 AM.
                            IrfanPaint developer

Comment

Hmm. Quite a confusing picture to my little brain..
                              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

BTW, I'm working to add a sidebar to IrfanView to contain a zoom of the zone under the cursor and tool-specific controls (e.g. the settings for the arrow line when this tool is selected, the current measure when the user is dragging with the measurement tool); see attachment.
                                Wow, but do not spent to much time of your vacation for this ;-)

Did you already talk with Irfan that you would like to split the main window of Irfanview? Maybe you should start with an additional toolwindow or extend the tool selector.

Comment

Working...
                                X