This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MItaly View Post
    Moving the window while a user is holding a button down is quite problematic
    Can't you just move the window away from the insertion point as soon as the window opens? Maybe even leave the insertion point cursor in its original position? Making the window transparent would help if there were several lines of text, but the most important thing is to see at least the first line. Moving the window down and right by 100 pixels would be enough in many cases, though if the cursor is already at the right or bottom of the IV window so that the text window won't fit on the desktop, then it would need to move down and left, or up and right, up and left instead by a 100 pixels from the bottom corner of the insert text dialogue.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 30.03.2008, 07:30 PM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I wrote down an algorithm that works this way:
      • it calculates a "forbidden area" where the dialog must not be in this way:
        Code:
        	RECT forbiddenRect;
        	forbiddenRect.left=insertPoint.x-200;
        	forbiddenRect.right=insertPoint.x+200;
        	forbiddenRect.top=insertPoint.y-60;
        	forbiddenRect.bottom=insertPoint.y+40;
        ;
      • then it checks if the window rectangle intersects the forbidden area; if it doesn't, does nothing;
      • otherwise, it searches a good position for the window, first trying to put it under the forbidden area, then over, then on its right, then on its left; if in all these cases the window gets out of the screen, it's left where it is; otherwise it is moved to the first good position.

Do you think it's OK or should I change something (especially the size of the "forbidden area")?
      IrfanPaint developer
      The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
      IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

I wonder if you need a bigger gap above the insertion point for large font sizes? The first line of text might be hidden by the dialogue if it is above the insertion point.

I'm not sure if you need to move the dialogue horizontally at all, since if the user can see the first line of text he/she can see if the insertion point is in the right place. The horizontal position seems to work best for left, right, and centre aligned if the dialogue is centred horizontally on the insertion point.

Moving the dialogue depending on the text alignment might be complex as the text alignment can be changed after the dialogue is opened.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 30.03.2008, 09:17 PM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

version 59 is great

MItaly
          many thanks for version 59
          Al

Comment

I choir with Al.
            This is a job with nice progression. And the addition of tolerance is a big step.
            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Cloning Screen Capture

Here it is, an image of the two cursors and a cloned spot. The cursors look the same whether the clone tool works or not; I presume this is how they are supposed to look. I understand now how the ghost cursor functions-- quite clever-- but that has no bearing on my recurrent problem, at least none that I can figure out.

I still wonder, is there a memory cap on this function: when so much RAM is utilized in alterations, the tool works slowly or not at all? Is that possible? The trouble never occurs at first, only after considerable use on an image.
              Attached Files

Comment

A couple of questions. How much RAM do you have, how much is usually free, and how much difference does cloning make? You could check that out easily enough with a resource meter, some small free ones can be downloaded here and there. What else is using a lot of graphics resources, are you into animated wallpaper (LOL just kiddin' there)? What version of Windows and how much other background activity, processor speed, lots of factors to consider if that is causing the difficulties.

What I see in the attached picture is an area being cloned onto an almost identical area. It doesn't tell me much.
                Its: Belongs to "It"
                It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                ---------------------
                Lose: Fail to keep
                Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

The attachment tells me that it is a very zoomed-in segment of a far more bigger picture, where the function is executed.
                  This means a lot of mem-refreshment, so no wonder it takes some time.
                  Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

But in the picture attached the cloned circle on the green part has been done previously or you are showing that IP clones in the wrong place?
                    For the memory thing, I'm working on it.
                    IrfanPaint developer

Comment

Nor do I derive much information from the picture. Based on one comment, I'd gotten the notion that the ghost cursor took on the appearance of the spot being cloned from. I presume that is not true. Otherwise, I suppose the parts of the picture look the way they should.

I am now fairly certain that I do not have a RAM problem. I have 2GB of RAM on my XP, Duo Core 2 machine; 1.4 is usually free, dropping to 1.2 while fussing with pictures. I do not do anything else graphics intensive.

Comment

"The attachment tells me that it is a very zoomed-in segment of a far more bigger picture"-- Correct. "This means a lot of mem-refreshment, so no wonder it takes some time."-- When the cloning works, it does so instantaneously. When it doesn't, it isn't just slow; nothing happens, no matter how long I wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorchek View Post
                          Based on one comment, I'd gotten the notion that the ghost cursor took on the appearance of the spot being cloned from. I presume that is not true. Otherwise, I suppose the parts of the picture look the way they should.
                          The ghost cursor with the X in the middle should always be on the portion of image being cloned; the cursor with the + is always on the destination of the cloning.
                          Originally posted by Vorchek View Post
                          When the cloning works, it does so instantaneously. When it doesn't, it isn't just slow; nothing happens, no matter how long I wait.
                          Does IV hang when the clone tool don't work?
                          IrfanPaint developer

Comment

comparison between drawing with IrfanPaint and PhotoFiltre

I have compared the method "drawing arrows and/or lines" in IrfanPaint with PhotoFiltre!

And I've determined some differences!
                            The quality of drawn lines and arrows is better with PhotoFiltre!
                            Drawn with IrfanPaint is not so fine! Not correct lines!
                            You can see all pixels individual! (Similarly like gradate stairs!)

see:

Is it possible to improve this method in IrfanPaint?

regards
                            Frank

(using IrfanView V4.10 and the latest development version of IrfanPaint b0.4.10.59)

Comment

This is because IrfanPaint still doesn't support antialiasing, but it's not a simple feature to implement at the current state of work.
                              IrfanPaint developer

Comment

"Does IV hang when the clone tool don't work?"

No.

Comment

Working...
                                X